As expected, Monta Ellis to opt out of deal with Bucks

Jun 17, 2013, 1:22 PM EST

Monta Ellis AP

This was expected to happen, but now it’s become official.

Monta Ellis is going to opt out of the $11 million he is owed next season to become an unrestricted free agent, reports Chris Broussard of ESPN and other sources.

Ellis averaged 19.2 points and 6 assists for the Bucks last year. He is a volume shooter — he shot just 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s a playmaker who likes the ball in his hands but does not score efficiently.

He is seeking the security of a longer deal at age 27 (28 next season). There are reports he turned down a big two year extension from the Bucks, but I’d take that one with a grain of salt.

He’s going to be an interesting test of the new CBA. My guess is under the old system he might have gotten four years at around $10 million a year, but with the stiffer taxes and limits on spending over the cap in the new CBA, and with more front offices going to the analytics that shy away from volume scorers, it will be interesting to see what offers come his way now. And from whom.

1. bougin89 - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Blow it up and play for the draft next year. This is the first step. Step #2 let Jennings walk if anyone gets him to sign an offer sheet.

• fm31970 - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yeah, it’s time. The Bucks have Sanders and Henson to build around, and Illysova is a good fit, too. I would love to see Dunleavy, Jr. return, too, but I think he’ll be too expensive for the Bucks to bring back.

Now, how to trade Gooden…

• bougin89 - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:33 PM

I like Dunleavy Jr as well. If we blow this thing up I don’t think he would return though. I don’t think there is any getting rid of Drew Gooden unless we amnesty him. I don’t see Herb Kohl signing off on that…

• milkcan44 - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Two of the dumbest things I’ve seen in Milwaukee sports – Bucks trading Tobias Harris when he’s only 20 yrs. old, and Brewers trading Brett Lawrie for a mediocre pitcher.

2. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears - Jun 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I could see Ginoboli retiring and then the Spurs turning this guy into a perennial 6th man of the year.

3. jerrysshadescleaner - Jun 17, 2013 at 2:58 PM

good luck ellis, dumbass lol

4. blarry21 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I love seeing him go. Yes, blow this thing up before they get sold to a real basketball owner in Seattle.

5. loungefly74 - Jun 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM

cant see Monta making more than $12 mil a year…

6. qpoiu1 - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:10 PM

this guy would thrive in a 6th man role…but i doubt that he would accept it

7. big49er - Jun 17, 2013 at 4:20 PM

He needs to be in Indiana!

• Kurt Helin - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Worst fit ever.

8. true15 - Jun 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM

a lot of free agents waiting to see where they land, chasing money or chasing ring summer 2013

9. halfbaht - Jun 17, 2013 at 7:45 PM

In spite of this guys attitude, I think there will be a few teams wanting to sign him. If the C’s could sign him and we could keep KG, The Truth and Doc, I think Ellis maybe a decent fit. Those old heads won’t take his crap. More likely we see him in a Mavs jersey though.

10. nbascreed - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:09 PM

“He is seeking the security of a longer deal at age 27 (28 next season).”

Nice parens Kurt, he’s one age this calendar year and the next calendar year his age will increment by one…awesome, I never knew that’s how it worked.

11. starvingardens - Jun 17, 2013 at 9:24 PM

He’ll probably go to New Jersey since they have big pockets, and have him play beside a bigger guard in Deron and keep Joe at the 3. Crash would just come off the bench. What do you think?

12. muskyhunter2542 - Jun 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

This guys a bad egg!!!!

13. dezglobal - Jun 18, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Go to Detroit.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches