Jun 17, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
This was expected to happen, but now it’s become official.
Ellis averaged 19.2 points and 6 assists for the Bucks last year. He is a volume shooter — he shot just 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s a playmaker who likes the ball in his hands but does not score efficiently.
He is seeking the security of a longer deal at age 27 (28 next season). There are reports he turned down a big two year extension from the Bucks, but I’d take that one with a grain of salt.
He’s going to be an interesting test of the new CBA. My guess is under the old system he might have gotten four years at around $10 million a year, but with the stiffer taxes and limits on spending over the cap in the new CBA, and with more front offices going to the analytics that shy away from volume scorers, it will be interesting to see what offers come his way now. And from whom.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85