Jun 17, 2013, 1:22 PM EDT
This was expected to happen, but now it’s become official.
Ellis averaged 19.2 points and 6 assists for the Bucks last year. He is a volume shooter — he shot just 41.6 percent overall and 28.7 percent from three. He’s a playmaker who likes the ball in his hands but does not score efficiently.
He is seeking the security of a longer deal at age 27 (28 next season). There are reports he turned down a big two year extension from the Bucks, but I’d take that one with a grain of salt.
He’s going to be an interesting test of the new CBA. My guess is under the old system he might have gotten four years at around $10 million a year, but with the stiffer taxes and limits on spending over the cap in the new CBA, and with more front offices going to the analytics that shy away from volume scorers, it will be interesting to see what offers come his way now. And from whom.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50