Jun 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
This really doesn’t impact the Spurs on the court in the Finals, but it will sadden the basketball fans of Australia.
Spurs reserve guard Patty Mills — best known in this series for his enthusiastic towel waving — is out for the remainder of the postseason after having surgery on his foot, the team announced on Sunday.
According to the team, Mills had an infection in his right foot that developed into an abscess between his fourth and fifth toes. The abscess was removed during a short outpatient surgery on Friday afternoon.
Mills is deep on the Spurs bench, having played 31 minutes throughout the playoffs. He appeared in the garbage time of two NBA Finals games for a total of 13:26, in which time he scored four points. Like I said before, mostly Mills is about the towel waving.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 0
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 7
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 16
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30