Jun 15, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Since being bounced in the first round, the Denver Nuggets have lost their coach George Karl, their GM Masai Ujiri to Toronto, and their biggest name player Andre Iguodala has opted out of his contract to test free agency.
And now they have lost their assistant GM.
Denver had wanted their No. 2 man behind Ujiri to step up into the big chair, but he has been poached. The Sacramento Kings have reached a deal with Pete D’Alessandro to be the team’s new general manager, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (and confirmed by other sources).
After nearly a decade in front offices with Golden State and Denver, D’Alessandro developed a strong reputation with executives throughout the NBA. He worked closely with Ujiri on the Carmelo Anthony trade that replenished the Nuggets’ roster with young talent, and played a part in the procurement of top young draft picks, including Kenneth Farried and Ty Lawson.
You would be hard pressed to find an assistant GM more respected around the league than D’Alessandro, this is a great hire for the Kings.
D’Alessandro’s first order of business is the draft in two weeks, where the Kings pick No. 7. Then he needs to work with coach Mike Malone to rebuild the roster in Sacramento. They have a building block in DeMarcus Cousins, if they can get him to bring it ever night and stay focused.
Denver has a lot of offices to fill. That’s a good roster but the front office situation leaves a lot of questions about where they go from here.
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis’s MVP-level play, the Spurs and things to be thankful for 5
- Report: Knicks worried Carmelo Anthony’s back issue may be season-long concern 8
- Report: Lakers working on a one-year deal with Earl Clark 13
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 19
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 13
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 27
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30