Jun 15, 2013, 4:21 PM EST
Since being bounced in the first round, the Denver Nuggets have lost their coach George Karl, their GM Masai Ujiri to Toronto, and their biggest name player Andre Iguodala has opted out of his contract to test free agency.
And now they have lost their assistant GM.
Denver had wanted their No. 2 man behind Ujiri to step up into the big chair, but he has been poached. The Sacramento Kings have reached a deal with Pete D’Alessandro to be the team’s new general manager, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (and confirmed by other sources).
After nearly a decade in front offices with Golden State and Denver, D’Alessandro developed a strong reputation with executives throughout the NBA. He worked closely with Ujiri on the Carmelo Anthony trade that replenished the Nuggets’ roster with young talent, and played a part in the procurement of top young draft picks, including Kenneth Farried and Ty Lawson.
You would be hard pressed to find an assistant GM more respected around the league than D’Alessandro, this is a great hire for the Kings.
D’Alessandro’s first order of business is the draft in two weeks, where the Kings pick No. 7. Then he needs to work with coach Mike Malone to rebuild the roster in Sacramento. They have a building block in DeMarcus Cousins, if they can get him to bring it ever night and stay focused.
Denver has a lot of offices to fill. That’s a good roster but the front office situation leaves a lot of questions about where they go from here.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 2
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 44