Jun 15, 2013, 4:21 PM EDT
Since being bounced in the first round, the Denver Nuggets have lost their coach George Karl, their GM Masai Ujiri to Toronto, and their biggest name player Andre Iguodala has opted out of his contract to test free agency.
And now they have lost their assistant GM.
Denver had wanted their No. 2 man behind Ujiri to step up into the big chair, but he has been poached. The Sacramento Kings have reached a deal with Pete D’Alessandro to be the team’s new general manager, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports (and confirmed by other sources).
After nearly a decade in front offices with Golden State and Denver, D’Alessandro developed a strong reputation with executives throughout the NBA. He worked closely with Ujiri on the Carmelo Anthony trade that replenished the Nuggets’ roster with young talent, and played a part in the procurement of top young draft picks, including Kenneth Farried and Ty Lawson.
You would be hard pressed to find an assistant GM more respected around the league than D’Alessandro, this is a great hire for the Kings.
D’Alessandro’s first order of business is the draft in two weeks, where the Kings pick No. 7. Then he needs to work with coach Mike Malone to rebuild the roster in Sacramento. They have a building block in DeMarcus Cousins, if they can get him to bring it ever night and stay focused.
Denver has a lot of offices to fill. That’s a good roster but the front office situation leaves a lot of questions about where they go from here.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8