LeBron is even more confident now, and that could mean serious trouble for the Spurs

Jun 15, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-PRACTICE-HEAT Getty Images

SAN ANTONIO — Before LeBron James went out and put together a high-scoring, aggressive performance that helped his team to a Game 4 win over the Spurs, he guaranteed he’d play better than he did the previous game, and did so in a way that made it sound like his bounce-back effort was a foregone conclusion.

After scoring 33 points and hauling in 11 rebounds in the game that tied the series at two apiece, and after controlling the tempo and attacking inside on seemingly every offensive possession, James was even more confident than before in delivering his answers to reporters before the Heat practiced at the AT&T Center on Saturday.

Every relevant question was met with forceful assertion from James, and his self-assuredness was at the highest level possible without ever crossing over into the realm of being smug or cocky with his statements.

It began when LeBron was asked about the Heat’s recent inability to win consecutive games in the postseason. In all seven games against Indiana right on through the first four games of the Finals, Miami has won (and then lost) in every other outing. James said, very confidently and very seriously, that it was time for that little trend stop.

“I think it’s time,” James said. “I think we’re well overdue where it’s time for us to win consecutive games. I think we’re at 11 or 12 straight consecutive win‑loss, win‑loss, win‑loss. I think it’s time. Enough is enough for our team. I’m not saying it’s going to result in us having a win, but we need to play with the same sense of urgency as if we were down 2‑1 or whatever the case may be tomorrow night. And we can’t wait around.”

Confident, but not cocky.

Next, LeBron was asked a slightly convoluted question that had to do with his style of play during his team’s three straight years in the Finals, and whether he needed to be more of a scorer or a facilitator moving forward. He had to ask for clarification on what was being asked, but then delivered his answer before waiting for the response.

“Let me put it this way,” James said sternly. “We don’t make it to Dallas, we don’t make it to OKC and we don’t make it here if I don’t play the way I play. It’s that simple. My game doesn’t change no matter who I’m playing. I know I’m an attack player. I also do multiple things — I get my teammates involved, I rebound, I defend. I don’t have three straight trips to the Finals if I don’t do what I do. It is what it is.”

Self-assured, but not smug.

Finally, LeBron was asked if he was surprised by the large margins of victory that we’ve seen in each of the last three games of the series. He was not — especially in those that were won by his team.

“We’re not surprised to get a win, [or] surprised to win by double digits,” James said. “If we play our game, if we force turnovers, we rebound, execute offensively and don’t turn the ball over, we can win against anybody. We’re a confident bunch.”

The Heat are led by the most confident one of them all, and LeBron was radiating this quality in every word he uttered, and in the strong, sincere, and steady tone with which those words were spoken.

LeBron was confident that he’d bounce back before Game 4, and we saw what he was able to do under the circumstances. But now, with a heightened level of cool assuredness on display, the Spurs must prepare for an even more devastating performance from James.

Whether or not they are able to withstand it will determine their fate in Game 5, and might ultimately end up being the key factor in determining how the championship is decided.

Latest Posts
  1. Report: UNLV freshman guard Rashad Vaughn to enter NBA draft; Vaughn denies it

Mar 27, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT

San Jose State v UNLV Getty Images

He is likely a middle second round pick if he comes out.

2. Blake Griffin nails impression of Austin Rivers (VIDEO)

Mar 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v New York Knicks Getty Images

It’s pretty spot on. And cold-blooded.

3. Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs

Mar 27, 2015, 3:09 PM EDT

Kevin Durant Kevin Durant

He should be back next season, the final one of this contract with Oklahoma City.

4. High praise: Bob Cousy says Hassan Whiteside reminds him of Bill Russell

Mar 27, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Miami Heat Boston Celtics v Miami Heat

Cousey said not Shaq, not Ewing, nobody reminded him of Russell like Whiteside.

5. Report: Salary cap could rise to $105 million in 2017-18

Mar 27, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT

AP Money Found AP

As everyone braces for 2016 spike, another big bump could follow

6. Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push

Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT

Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven Goran Dragic, Josh Tiven

LeBron James and a lot of stature are gone, but with the more-modest goal of just making the playoffs, Miami’s new point guard embracing the challenge

7. Anthony Davis made 100 free throws in arena after Rockets loss

Mar 27, 2015, 10:19 AM EDT

Houston Rockets v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Pelicans star missed eight free throws in setback to Houston

8. DeMarcus Cousins has response for fan who tells him to stop complaining about calls

Mar 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Houston at Sacramento Getty Images

Cousins has gotten better, but he still has yet to hear a foul call he liked.

9. Amar’e Stoudemire on retiring: “There’s a lot of high-level basketball left in me”

Mar 27, 2015, 1:08 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Stoudemire can give a team 15 minutes a night off the bench of quality play.

10. NBA admits incorrect no-call by referees on final play of Lakers’ overtime win over Timberwolves

Mar 26, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves Los Angeles Lakers v Minnesota Timberwolves

A day later the league says Andrew Wiggins was fouled, but the officials let it go at the time.

11. Clippers holding off on re-signing Nate Robinson after second 10-day contract expires

Mar 26, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers Charlotte Hornets v Los Angeles Clippers

Clippers would need to ink Robinson for the rest of the season, but are waiting to see how quickly he can return after a recent knee injury.

12. Wizards coach Randy Wittman: ‘I don’t give a crap what Marreese Speights thinks’

Mar 26, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT

Randy Wittman AP

Speights said the Warriors knew the Wizards would quit after Golden State beat them recently, and Washington’s coach responds.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches