LeBron is even more confident now, and that could mean serious trouble for the Spurs

Jun 15, 2013, 9:33 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-PRACTICE-HEAT Getty Images

SAN ANTONIO — Before LeBron James went out and put together a high-scoring, aggressive performance that helped his team to a Game 4 win over the Spurs, he guaranteed he’d play better than he did the previous game, and did so in a way that made it sound like his bounce-back effort was a foregone conclusion.

After scoring 33 points and hauling in 11 rebounds in the game that tied the series at two apiece, and after controlling the tempo and attacking inside on seemingly every offensive possession, James was even more confident than before in delivering his answers to reporters before the Heat practiced at the AT&T Center on Saturday.

Every relevant question was met with forceful assertion from James, and his self-assuredness was at the highest level possible without ever crossing over into the realm of being smug or cocky with his statements.

It began when LeBron was asked about the Heat’s recent inability to win consecutive games in the postseason. In all seven games against Indiana right on through the first four games of the Finals, Miami has won (and then lost) in every other outing. James said, very confidently and very seriously, that it was time for that little trend stop.

“I think it’s time,” James said. “I think we’re well overdue where it’s time for us to win consecutive games. I think we’re at 11 or 12 straight consecutive win‑loss, win‑loss, win‑loss. I think it’s time. Enough is enough for our team. I’m not saying it’s going to result in us having a win, but we need to play with the same sense of urgency as if we were down 2‑1 or whatever the case may be tomorrow night. And we can’t wait around.”

Confident, but not cocky.

Next, LeBron was asked a slightly convoluted question that had to do with his style of play during his team’s three straight years in the Finals, and whether he needed to be more of a scorer or a facilitator moving forward. He had to ask for clarification on what was being asked, but then delivered his answer before waiting for the response.

“Let me put it this way,” James said sternly. “We don’t make it to Dallas, we don’t make it to OKC and we don’t make it here if I don’t play the way I play. It’s that simple. My game doesn’t change no matter who I’m playing. I know I’m an attack player. I also do multiple things — I get my teammates involved, I rebound, I defend. I don’t have three straight trips to the Finals if I don’t do what I do. It is what it is.”

Self-assured, but not smug.

Finally, LeBron was asked if he was surprised by the large margins of victory that we’ve seen in each of the last three games of the series. He was not — especially in those that were won by his team.

“We’re not surprised to get a win, [or] surprised to win by double digits,” James said. “If we play our game, if we force turnovers, we rebound, execute offensively and don’t turn the ball over, we can win against anybody. We’re a confident bunch.”

The Heat are led by the most confident one of them all, and LeBron was radiating this quality in every word he uttered, and in the strong, sincere, and steady tone with which those words were spoken.

LeBron was confident that he’d bounce back before Game 4, and we saw what he was able to do under the circumstances. But now, with a heightened level of cool assuredness on display, the Spurs must prepare for an even more devastating performance from James.

Whether or not they are able to withstand it will determine their fate in Game 5, and might ultimately end up being the key factor in determining how the championship is decided.

Latest Posts
  1. Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either

Jul 26, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

US forward Kevin Durant and US forward K Getty Images

Kevin Durant is the perfect international power forward anyway.

2. Report: Omri Casspi finalizing one-year contract with Sacramento

Jul 26, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Omri Casspi

The way the Kings handled this lets them keep Quincy Acy.

3. Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach?

Jul 26, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Byron Scott Byron Scott

Making sure Kobe Bryant is happy in his final two seasons in Los Angeles seems to be at the top of the list.

4. James Harden says he considered himself a role player during days with OKC

Jul 26, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Houston Rockets Getty Images

Harden seems to backtrack a bit on comments Chandler Parsons took offense to.

5. Carmelo Anthony on his free agent decision: ‘It was pretty much always Chicago or New York’

Jul 25, 2014, 10:46 PM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v New York Knicks Getty Images

Anthony reportedly strongly considered the Lakers too, but he says that wasn’t really the case.

6. Report: Kevin Johnson no longer part of search for new head of players’ union, vote expected Monday

Jul 25, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT

Kevin Johnson

The union for the players continues to struggle to get some competent leadership in place.

7. Joakim Noah is happy for LeBron, but hopes Bulls ‘can kick his a– as many times as possible’

Jul 25, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah continues to be brutally honest when speaking about his team’s competition.

8. Top 10 dunks of Las Vegas Summer League (VIDEO)

Jul 25, 2014, 6:46 PM EDT

Andrew Wiggins AP

The Andrew Wiggins spin and dunk is a thing of beauty.

9. Report: Hawks sign Shelvin Mack to three-year, $7.3 million deal

Jul 25, 2014, 5:14 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

He is a solid backup to have while Dennis Schroder develops.

10. Report: Will Cherry drawing interest from Cavaliers, Raptors

Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

Will Cherry was fun to watch at Las Vegas Summer League.

11. Tom Thibodeau considers Joakim Noah, Pau Gasol and Taj Gibson starters

Jul 25, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Bulls also must make room for Nikola Mirotic in frontcourt

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches