Jun 15, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
The hiring of Jason Kidd to be the next head coach of the Brooklyn Nets raised some eyebrows around the league, mainly due to his complete lack of coaching experience at any level in the past.
LeBron James wasn’t concerned that it would be an issue, citing the success of Mark Jackson with the Warriors who entered the coaching ranks under similar circumstances. But the reality is, there are some fundamentals that must be picked up by anyone looking to thrive in a new position.
Kidd will attempt to start gaining that experience as soon as possible, beginning with Summer League in Orlando this July.
“I think it’s the best thing to get right into it,” Kidd said on ESPN Radio. “I know that a lot of times head coaches don’t coach summer league. But this gives me time to work on different parts of the game, learning to be a coach, also my philosophy and plays and the defensive stuff that I’ll get to put in as my system.
“So, I get to see if it works. If it doesn’t work, [then see] what changes I have to make and work from there.”
Summer League is a time when head coaches around the league usually turn things over to their assistants, while observing from afar as their team’s bench players and freshly drafted rookies are gaining some valuable exposure to real basketball situations.
Kidd needs to spend time learning the basics of his new profession, too, so Summer League seems like as good a place as any to get started.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 70
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32