Jun 15, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
The hiring of Jason Kidd to be the next head coach of the Brooklyn Nets raised some eyebrows around the league, mainly due to his complete lack of coaching experience at any level in the past.
LeBron James wasn’t concerned that it would be an issue, citing the success of Mark Jackson with the Warriors who entered the coaching ranks under similar circumstances. But the reality is, there are some fundamentals that must be picked up by anyone looking to thrive in a new position.
Kidd will attempt to start gaining that experience as soon as possible, beginning with Summer League in Orlando this July.
“I think it’s the best thing to get right into it,” Kidd said on ESPN Radio. “I know that a lot of times head coaches don’t coach summer league. But this gives me time to work on different parts of the game, learning to be a coach, also my philosophy and plays and the defensive stuff that I’ll get to put in as my system.
“So, I get to see if it works. If it doesn’t work, [then see] what changes I have to make and work from there.”
Summer League is a time when head coaches around the league usually turn things over to their assistants, while observing from afar as their team’s bench players and freshly drafted rookies are gaining some valuable exposure to real basketball situations.
Kidd needs to spend time learning the basics of his new profession, too, so Summer League seems like as good a place as any to get started.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1