Jun 15, 2013, 8:01 PM EDT
SAN ANTONIO — The last time Miami won two games in a row in a series it was mid-May against the Bulls.
They traded wins with the Pacers but that was good enough to get to the NBA Finals, where through four games they have traded wins with the Spurs. After each win the Heat have relaxed and not been as aggressive and sharp the next contest.
“Of course, that’s just the nature of the beast,” Mike Miller said of the team relaxing after a win.
Keep just trading wins and the Spurs will put up a fifth banner at the AT&T Center. The Heat know it. The day before a crucial Game 5 the Heat seemed confident and they all talked about winning a back-to-back game.
“I think it’s time,” LeBron James said. “I think we’re well overdue when it’s time for us to win consecutive games. I think we’re at 11 or 12 straight consecutive win-loss, win-loss, win-loss. I think it’s time. Enough is enough for our team. I’m not saying it’s going to result in us having a win, but we need to play with the same sense of urgency as if we were down 2-1 or whatever the case may be tomorrow night. And we can’t wait around.”
“I’m to the point now, all this success, I’m trying to throw that on the back burner and leave that where it is,” Bosh said. “Yes, we can draw from it but I’d rather look at the mistakes, get mad at that and just treat the last game like we lost it because we have to do something different right now.”
Meeting with the media Saturday the Heat sounded confident and talked less about the Xs and Os — although you can expect them to stay small with a large dose of Mike Miller, the Spurs will have to adjust — but they were more concerned with their energy, particularly on the defensive end.
“Obviously, we’ve got to be able to refocus and come out with the same exact energy,” Miller said. “I think if you looked at us, all across the board, to man and how tired we were, if we put that same effort, that same commitment to it, I think hopefully we’ll put ourselves in a position at the end to win the game.”
If they’re not in a position to win at the end of this game, if they don’t get the win, they will have to find a way to finally win two in a row at home or watch the Spurs celebrate on their home court.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 60
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89