Tony Parker disappears in second half, so does Spurs offense

Jun 14, 2013, 1:43 AM EDT

We should all be as injured as Tony Parker looked in the first half of Game 4 — he hit 7-of-12 shots for 15 points with 6 assists. He was getting into the lane, spinning, driving and dishing. Injured hamstring? Sure thing buddy.

But in the second half was like a completely different game (much like it had been for Dwyane Wade in the first three games).

The Heat defense brought the double teams to Parker, he says he got tired and his numbers fell off the table — he was 0-of-4 shooting for zero points and three assists. With their table setter slowed the Spurs shot just 37 percent as a team and offense fell off to 93.8 points per 100 possessions (the Heat were at 127 in the second half). The result was Miami running away for the win to tie the series.

What happened to Parker in the second half? Was it the strained hamstring?

“It was kind of weak,” Parker said after the game. “I didn’t know what to expect. So the first three, four minutes I was testing it, and the first half it felt okay…

“It was just fatigue (in the second half). I just missed shots. I had great shots. I missed two teardrops and the lay-up I was right there, couldn’t get my lift. They are doing the same thing on me since the beginning. Very aggressive on pick-and-rolls, stuff like that. I just missed easy shots, and hopefully I’ll get more healthy and I’ll be better by Sunday.”

It wasn’t just his fatigue — it was the hamstring and the Miami defense. After being torched in the first half Heat defenders became more focused on Parker and brought the double-team more quickly in the second half.

“Miami did a great job on him,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said after the game. “They doubled. They got it out of his hands, and other people had to play. But they did a good job defensively on him.”

Parker is now off until Sunday, two full days off to get that hamstring right before a critical Game 5.

It’s going to be huge for me,” Parker said of the longer break. “Obviously definitely got fatigued in the second half. Those two days I’m going to make sure I do a lot of treatment and get to 100 percent. Tonight I was not 100 percent. By Sunday that’s my goal, to be good to go.”

He better be or the Spurs could be going back to Miami in a hole and needing to win two on the road.

1. jbeagles23 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 AM

He has a sore hamstring. Everyone is hurt by this point. Damn European baby. This is a mans game.

• fredagsedb - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM

What is your comment to Wade’s lacklustre play this playoffs beside this last game then?

And by the way, don’t you think it’s the best media disposition to say that you were fatigued and bothered by injury rather than that the other teams D influenced you?

• totallyuselessme - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:19 AM

C’mon, Parker isn’t a whiner. He’s a class guy. If he says he was fatigued, I’m inclined to believe him.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:03 PM

I agree, but I think that hammy is barking, he won’t complain, just
        like Wade he doesn’t complain just plays on.
        I guess that’s why they are in the Finals, no excuses, let’s play 7even!

2. gmsingh123 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:54 AM

beagles is right. The real men are complaining for months about owies, and then decide to show up for a game like nothing is wrong at all. You go, D.Wade!!

3. hehateme2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The longer this goes on the better the chances are for the Heat. The Spurs are a great franchise and this is a great series.

Too bad some of the posters aren’t as classy as the Spurs.

4. robones - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:10 AM

“He better be or the Heat could be going back to Miami in a hole and needing to win two on the road.”

My mind was just blown!!!

5. jtbsteeler - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Splitter, Joseph and Ginobli. The big three garbage players… I’d be beside myself if I was a San Antonio fan.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:08 PM

they say Mano is a HOF’er, I’m not to sure about that.

• 2late2matter - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM

This “Ring” is Tim Duncan’s to lose. He has not been all that aggressive for a big man in this series. His missed shots are killing the Spurs!

• jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:02 PM

That’s because you aren’t knowledgeable about Ginobili. He’s had an amazing career. Check out his career details and then you, as a smart fan, will know he’s HOF material.

6. daniel10017 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Thiago Splitter is one of the worst basketball player I have ever seen in my life. The worst since Kwame Brown and Jon Koncack.

• brookwell2013 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:43 PM

daniel10017 you are clueless, Splitter will be re-upped by Buford (Spurs GM) and he, my friend, has put together 4 championship teams…..you think you are a better judge of NBA talent than Buford? Splitter is at $3.9m this year and has a qualifying offer of $4.9 next year and I guarantee you Buford/Pop will re-up him at a min 3 yr deal at $16-18m…..without a doubt……before you post, show some knowledge of the league and talent evaluation. Don’t be a moron beer drinking fan because that’s what your post screams out.

• 2late2matter - Jun 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I read Splitter, Leonard, and Green as newbies who don’t feel that familiar inside of Coach Popovich’s disciplined system for their clumsy appearance while working with the more experienced Tim, Manu, and Tony. Once he assimilates he’ll be a monster.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Crummy beer.

7. loungefly74 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Manu needs to step up…BIG TIME!

• fanofevilempire - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:07 PM

yeah, Mano is playing like he could use a old man walker.

8. jbeagles23 - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:59 PM

He is not a HOF er. Not a chance.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 15, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Ignorance speaks.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches