Jun 14, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
For Game 3 of the NBA Finals, the first game in San Antonio in the series, the Spurs had scheduled Darius Rucker of Hootie and the Blowfish to sing the national anthem before the game. But bad traffic around the stadium (which made Tim Duncan and Tony Parker miss warm-ups) made him miss it.
So the Spurs turned to Sebastien de la Cruz, and 11-year-old boy with a big voice (he’s appeared on NBC’s “America’s Got Talent”). Wearing his Mariachi signer’s outfit, the San Antonio native belted out a beautiful rendition of our national anthem.
Then twitter became home to a lot of racist tweets. If you want to see them, Public Shaming collected a bunch. I’m not going to dignify that crap by posting it here. It is disgusting.
Spurs Coach Gregg Popovich was asked about it before Game 4 and he broke his pattern of short, terse answers to come to the boy’s defense.
“Well, I would like to say that I would be shocked or surprised by the comments. But given the fact that there’s still a significant element of bigotry and racism in our nation, I’m not surprised,” Popovich said. “It still plagues us, obviously. And what I was surprised by was how proud these idiots were of their ignorance, by printing their names next to their comments….
“(Sebastien is) a class act. Way more mature than most his age. And as much as those comments by the idiots saddens you about your country, he makes you feel that the future could be very bright.”
Give the Spurs credit — they brought Sebastien back for Game 4 and he did the song, and this nation, proud again.
Good job Sebastien.
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 4
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 4
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 16
- Report: Kyle Korver to have surgery on his ankle 5
- PBT Podcast: We’re back (finally), talking Curry, Harden, and what should be a Flagrant Foul 0
- PBT Extra: Will Dwight Howard’s foul on Bogut be upgraded to a Flagrant 2? Should it? 12
- PBT Extra: Horford/Dellavedova incident ups tension in Hawks/Cavaliers Game 4 10
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 6