Jason Kidd talks getting Nets job, how good Stockton was (Dan Patrick Show)

Jun 14, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT

New Brooklyn Nets coach Jason Kidd (that is still really weird to type) swung by the Dan Patrick Show on Friday to talk about how he convinced Billy King this was a good hire.

Other topics of interest came up as well, including how Kidd thinks John Stockton is the greatest point guard ever. I think Stockton gets overlooked in that conversation, but I still say Magic personally.

1. pmx8411 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Stockton gets overlooked but he is NOT in the same level as MAGIC

• fanofevilempire - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM

the thing is Stockton was great but the championships is like
      that tie breaker.
      he does get looked over when talk about point guards start.
      you wouldn’t do too bad with that white boy running the point you know.

• pmx8411 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

completely agree my friend, he did have a couple chances to get those rings and def would not mind him running the O

• loungefly74 - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:14 PM

agree. a portion of “greatness” is linked to the “rings”. i’m not saying Stockton was bad, heck, one of the greatest of all time…but the lack of rings ultimately has him falling a bit short (of someone like Magic)…

• azarkhan - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:37 PM

So tell us white boy, what have you ever won?

2. fanofevilempire - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:56 AM

remember that Magic left a few good years on the table with his HIV status.
    how many nba records would Magic have owned had he not retired.

• Anoesis - Jun 15, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Don’t forget that Stockton’s teammate at that time, Karl Malone, was one of the principals pushing Magic to retire. Malone claimed he was afraid of contracting HIV if Magic continued playing.

Not much was known about possible transmission at the time (though several experts thought getting it from sports contact was pretty remote) so Malone’s concern was accepted by many. I personally thought Malone had an ulterior motive (the Jazz couldn’t get out of the west with Magic on the court), but then again I was a huge Lakers fan so I had my own bias.

The upshot was after Magic retired the Jazz did finally make it out of the west and into the finals, only to be denied a title two years in a row by Jordan and the Bulls.

3. yousuxxors - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:19 PM

can’t count rings against stockton … how many times did he run into Jordan. I still think magic is better .

4. ncm42 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Lack of rings is tempered by the fact he ran into MJ’s prime. I love Magic, but I think all time leader in assists AND steals deserves a little more credit than he’s getting here….

Warriors vs. Clippers playoff preview