Dwyane Wade turns in dominant performance, plays like ‘2006 Flash’ in Game 4 win over Spurs

Jun 14, 2013, 1:28 AM EDT

In the Heat’s Game 4 win over the Spurs, however, the old Wade was back.

“That dude was amazing,” LeBron James said of his teammate’s performance. “Like I said, he was ’06 Flash tonight. And we needed every bit of him.”

Maybe not every bit, as James was pretty spectacular himself. But if not in terms of the sheer numbers Wade was able to put up, Miami certainly needed the active, athletic, and aggressive superstar they know he can be on both ends of the floor.

“I needed a game like this,” Wade said. “But my teammates needed a game like this from me. Needed me to be aggressive. Needed me to play the way that I’m capable of. Most important, they needed the Big Three to play the way we’re capable of.”

Wade finished with 32 points, six rebounds, four assists, and six steals. It was only the third time in 20 playoff games this season he’s scored at least 20 points, but there were other indicators of how strong he was feeling in this one.

“The six steals let me know he’s very active both offensively and defensively,” James said. “The 25 shots let me know that he was aggressive, every shot that he took. He wasn’t passive. In transition, he attacked the rim. He continued to attack throughout the game. And no matter how great you are, no matter what your résumé is, to have a game like this, it lets you know that you’re still one bad ‑‑ you know the next two words. I can’t say, my kids may be watching.”

The second halves of games haven’t been kind to Wade in these playoffs, but Game 4 was different. He kept attacking until the game was through, and with just under nine minutes to play, he got a steal in the open court, got around a defender in transition, and exploded to the rim to finish with an emphatic one-handed slam.

Just like 2006 Flash would have.

“No, I don’t feel like 2006,” Wade said. “But it felt good. When you see the ball go through the basket, then you get more confident. I knew I was on when I took it over the guy’s head and dunked it on the break. That was a little vintage right there.”

Miami got monster performances from James and Chris Bosh in addition to the one Wade turned in, and the reality is, no one’s beating this Heat team on a night when that happens. But LeBron’s effort is repeatable, as is that of Bosh, especially defensively. The same can’t be said about Wade, because we haven’t seen him put together back-to-back games like this one at any time during this postseason.

If Wade is able to overcome his knee as he did in this one, the Spurs are going to be in serious trouble, facing a version of the Heat that was the league’s best over the course of the regular season. But even Wade himself doesn’t know if he’ll be able to do it again in Game 5.

“I guess there’s only one way to find out,” he said. “See you Sunday.”

1. miamatt - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Dwayne F@*&ing Wade.

• pantsfreezone - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Flash ’06

• ProBasketballPundit - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

*Dwyane F@*&ing Wade

2. totallyuselessme - Jun 14, 2013 at 3:41 AM

If that Wade shows up for 2 more games, this series is decided.

3. hehateme2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Wade finished with 32 points, six rebounds, four assists, and six steals!!

WOW! Just wow! Only two more game like this one Wade and you can get some rest on the knee. Well done!

4. reesesteel23 - Jun 14, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Pretty sure DWade took a 5 Hour Energy before the game.

5. klownboy - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:42 AM

The Heat figured out the Spurs – at least for one game. But I do not see the Spurs coming back after getting their heinies kicked on their home floor.

6. leahcima1 - Jun 14, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Some villages must have gotten their idiots back. I don’t see cantonjerk13 around?

• hehateme2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Trolls gonna be trolls you know. No guts.

7. limonadamas - Jun 14, 2013 at 12:48 PM

If Wade keeps this up, the Heat are pretty much a lock. Congrats, Heat fans.

It’s funny though… The obvious question I don’t hear anyone asking is “how?” How can a guy limp through the playoffs averaging 14ppg looking hurt and then explode like this all of a sudden? Anyone who’s played basketball knows that one does not simply recover this like without rest and rehab.

Sorry to say but, fair or not, one of the unfortunate consequences of all the baseball and cycling scandals of recent years is that prodigious performances like these carry the shadow of suspicion, at least in most unbiased peoples’ minds… The media picks and chooses whom to cast suspicion on, and since Wade doesn’t get much flak from the media (although many casual fans have turned on him due to recent behavior), we won’t hear too much whispering.

• hehateme2 - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Weak and pathetic. You don’t know greatness when it is standing right in front of you.

• limonadamas - Jun 14, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Resorting to personal attacks is weak and pathetic. Keep riding high, buddy… keep riding high. No one was calling Wade’s performance “greatness” before last night.

What a person does with their cognitive dissonance says a lot about them.

• truthbetoldforsure - Jun 14, 2013 at 5:05 PM

How? Because Wade took game 4 as an elimination game and took his game to another level and thats what great ones do. I understand your biased comment either you are a Spurs fan or Heat hater. How come nobody talks about Duncan still playing at age 37 or how Jason Kidd and Steve Nash lasted so long? or Parker despite being injured in Warriors series had a monster series? MJ played an excellent game with 102 degree fever with a flu that is what great ones do they muster enough courage as they are mentally strong. If we started doubting all of them then just simply ban all the sports altogether.

• limonadamas - Jun 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I can say for a fact that I’m neither a Spurs fan or a Heat hater. It’s just sports. I appreciate Lebron’s talent and don’t understand why people still question his resolve. He’s a great player, no question at all.

There are huge differences between all the examples you gave and how much of a statistical outlier Wade’s performance was compared to how his postseason has been so far. Duncan lost a lot of weight and has been as consistent as ever. Kidd and Nash have had steady declines for the past few seasons, as expected. Parker’s been injured, but at least he’s been pretty consistent. MJ was sick. He played fine before and after that game.

I’m not sure where the comparison is here. Wade’s had a REALLY crappy postseason by his standards until suddenly looking like “2006 Wade” again a few days ago. All the headlines said the same thing. Wade says his knee’s been injured. You don’t go from injured knee to All-Star form in a few days without at least some doubt about how, in my opinion. It’s the suddenness and degree of change that stand out to me. Wade is also extremely competitive (you don’t do the kind of things he does sometimes in a game unless you are). It’s not a huge jump, in my mind.

I do appreciate your tone in your response to me. Most people on this forum don’t know how to have a different opinion from other people without getting hostile. hahaha I hope I’m wrong because I really don’t have a dog in this race. If anything, as a Laker fan, I should be rooting against San Antonio so Duncan stays on four rings, right? ;P

8. Cmkm Truth - Jun 14, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The game 3 that the 1-dimensional Spurs played was an aberration, NOT a harbinger of things to come.

If the Spurs played like that every game, they would be 98-0 now.

Furthermore, to paraphrase Mark Twain, “The rumors of the demise of the great DWade are greatly exaggerated.”

When a jungle cat is backed into a corner, it will rip apart its tormentor.

Likewise, when DWade is backed into a corner, he will revert back to the DWade of 2006 when he had the highest PER ever recorded for an NBA Championship Finals and singlehandedly rip apart the Spurs.

The line for game 4 started at Spurs -2 and finished at Miami -2, which means all the Smart Money bet the Mighty Heat.

And, of course, that is why the Smart Money is the Smart Money, and the clueless clowns who actually thought the Spurs were going to defeat the Mighty Heat are clueless clowns.

“Turn out the lights the party’s over, they say that all good things must end.”

9. 2late2matter - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM

D-Whine certainly heard his “Call To Duty” and along with Le Choke and Boo-Boo played the kind of blacktop basketball where fouls have to be called for the rough-housing to end. Obviously Spurs did not play the physical game necessary for a finesse game.

And to its credit, Heat forced the Spurs 3-point game into the paint, where Heat’s physicality (and personal fouls) forced Spurs to the free throw line. A junk game is one way to win, however, and the Heat came back from the edge of defeat with their brand of B-Ball.

Was smart that Coach Pop sat his valuable starters when the roughhousing began as the refs didn’t seem to mind….

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches