Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Bars in Miami (and San Antonio) are doing some big business during the NBA Finals as people pack the joints to cheer on their teams… and consume a few adult beverages of their choosing. Some people more the latter than the former.
But it all went wrong at one Miami area bar.
The outdoor deck at Shucker’s Bar & Grill in North Bay Village collapsed from the weight of all the people on it, sending more than 100 people into the water and injuring three people critically, reports the Associated Press.
Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire-Rescue said late Thursday that 100 people fell into the water. He said rescuers pulled patrons from the bay, and that divers were searching waters underneath the collapsed deck as helicopters shined spotlights onto the area…
WSVN-TV reports that 24 people were injured. News director Tom Tuckwell told the news station that he had his back to the bay when he heard an enormous roar. When he turned around, he saw people disappeared beneath them.
Fortunately the waters were shallow below the deck. Hopefully those injured more seriously recover. Watching a basketball game at a bar shouldn’t be an extreme sport.
- Report: Celtics may be frontrunners for Asik; would move Bass, Lee, pick 0
- Tyson Chandler returns to Knicks lineup Wednesday night 1
- Beasley out, LeBron game-time decision; Heat not worried about Pacers right now 7
- LaMarcus Aldridge’s MVP-level season looks a lot like last season 10
- PBT Podcast: Damian Lillard can’t miss, plus Iguodala return 0
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (105)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (48)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (45)