Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Bars in Miami (and San Antonio) are doing some big business during the NBA Finals as people pack the joints to cheer on their teams… and consume a few adult beverages of their choosing. Some people more the latter than the former.
But it all went wrong at one Miami area bar.
The outdoor deck at Shucker’s Bar & Grill in North Bay Village collapsed from the weight of all the people on it, sending more than 100 people into the water and injuring three people critically, reports the Associated Press.
Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire-Rescue said late Thursday that 100 people fell into the water. He said rescuers pulled patrons from the bay, and that divers were searching waters underneath the collapsed deck as helicopters shined spotlights onto the area…
WSVN-TV reports that 24 people were injured. News director Tom Tuckwell told the news station that he had his back to the bay when he heard an enormous roar. When he turned around, he saw people disappeared beneath them.
Fortunately the waters were shallow below the deck. Hopefully those injured more seriously recover. Watching a basketball game at a bar shouldn’t be an extreme sport.
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 1
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 23