Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 AM EST
Bars in Miami (and San Antonio) are doing some big business during the NBA Finals as people pack the joints to cheer on their teams… and consume a few adult beverages of their choosing. Some people more the latter than the former.
But it all went wrong at one Miami area bar.
The outdoor deck at Shucker’s Bar & Grill in North Bay Village collapsed from the weight of all the people on it, sending more than 100 people into the water and injuring three people critically, reports the Associated Press.
Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire-Rescue said late Thursday that 100 people fell into the water. He said rescuers pulled patrons from the bay, and that divers were searching waters underneath the collapsed deck as helicopters shined spotlights onto the area…
WSVN-TV reports that 24 people were injured. News director Tom Tuckwell told the news station that he had his back to the bay when he heard an enormous roar. When he turned around, he saw people disappeared beneath them.
Fortunately the waters were shallow below the deck. Hopefully those injured more seriously recover. Watching a basketball game at a bar shouldn’t be an extreme sport.
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 0
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 6
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 16
- PBT Christmas Day preview: Late game between Clippers and Warriors will see league’s best rivalry renewed 1
- PBT Extra: Top 5 NBA stories of 2014 0
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 16
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 30