Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Bars in Miami (and San Antonio) are doing some big business during the NBA Finals as people pack the joints to cheer on their teams… and consume a few adult beverages of their choosing. Some people more the latter than the former.
But it all went wrong at one Miami area bar.
The outdoor deck at Shucker’s Bar & Grill in North Bay Village collapsed from the weight of all the people on it, sending more than 100 people into the water and injuring three people critically, reports the Associated Press.
Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire-Rescue said late Thursday that 100 people fell into the water. He said rescuers pulled patrons from the bay, and that divers were searching waters underneath the collapsed deck as helicopters shined spotlights onto the area…
WSVN-TV reports that 24 people were injured. News director Tom Tuckwell told the news station that he had his back to the bay when he heard an enormous roar. When he turned around, he saw people disappeared beneath them.
Fortunately the waters were shallow below the deck. Hopefully those injured more seriously recover. Watching a basketball game at a bar shouldn’t be an extreme sport.
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under two hours, players barely notice 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 9
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31
- Suns coach Hornacek says shortening games won’t help teams rest their stars 2
- Lakers coach Byron Scott’s philosophy on three-pointers: ‘I don’t believe it wins championships’ 33
- Accounting for Klay Thompson choosing a contract extension over new-TV-deal money 2
- Kobe Bryant calls ESPN voters who ranked him No. 40 ‘idiots’ 34