Jun 14, 2013, 10:43 AM EDT
Bars in Miami (and San Antonio) are doing some big business during the NBA Finals as people pack the joints to cheer on their teams… and consume a few adult beverages of their choosing. Some people more the latter than the former.
But it all went wrong at one Miami area bar.
The outdoor deck at Shucker’s Bar & Grill in North Bay Village collapsed from the weight of all the people on it, sending more than 100 people into the water and injuring three people critically, reports the Associated Press.
Lt. Ignatius Carroll of Miami Fire-Rescue said late Thursday that 100 people fell into the water. He said rescuers pulled patrons from the bay, and that divers were searching waters underneath the collapsed deck as helicopters shined spotlights onto the area…
WSVN-TV reports that 24 people were injured. News director Tom Tuckwell told the news station that he had his back to the bay when he heard an enormous roar. When he turned around, he saw people disappeared beneath them.
Fortunately the waters were shallow below the deck. Hopefully those injured more seriously recover. Watching a basketball game at a bar shouldn’t be an extreme sport.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 5
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 27
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 23
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10