Jun 14, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Lionel Hollins completed a second round of interviews with the Clippers on Friday, and all indications are that he left the team impressed with his qualifications.
The Clippers were impressed with Hollins’ basketball IQ, demeanor and his ability to develop players, the executives said.
“Everybody thought it went well,” one NBA executive said.
The Clippers, as you may recall, chose not to bring back Vinny Del Negro after he guided the team to a franchise-best 56 regular season wins, before seeing a Memphis Grizzlies team led by Hollins eliminate L.A. in the first round of the playoffs by overcoming a two-games- to-none deficit.
L.A. is believed to be struggling with the decision to either hire a veteran like Hollins with a proven history of success, or to go with a young rising star of the coaching ranks like Pacers assistant Brian Shaw who would be getting his first opportunity to lead from the head coaching position.
Shaw, as well as former Cavaliers and Hornets head coach Byron Scott, are scheduled to interview in Los Angeles next week.
If the Clippers do end up choosing Hollins, they may have some competition for his services. Hollins left Los Angeles and headed directly to Denver to meet with the Nuggets about their open position — one that was created after the team parted ways with George Karl following a long run of success that was very similar to how Hollins went out in Memphis.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15