Jun 14, 2013, 7:16 PM EDT
Lionel Hollins completed a second round of interviews with the Clippers on Friday, and all indications are that he left the team impressed with his qualifications.
The Clippers were impressed with Hollins’ basketball IQ, demeanor and his ability to develop players, the executives said.
“Everybody thought it went well,” one NBA executive said.
The Clippers, as you may recall, chose not to bring back Vinny Del Negro after he guided the team to a franchise-best 56 regular season wins, before seeing a Memphis Grizzlies team led by Hollins eliminate L.A. in the first round of the playoffs by overcoming a two-games- to-none deficit.
L.A. is believed to be struggling with the decision to either hire a veteran like Hollins with a proven history of success, or to go with a young rising star of the coaching ranks like Pacers assistant Brian Shaw who would be getting his first opportunity to lead from the head coaching position.
Shaw, as well as former Cavaliers and Hornets head coach Byron Scott, are scheduled to interview in Los Angeles next week.
If the Clippers do end up choosing Hollins, they may have some competition for his services. Hollins left Los Angeles and headed directly to Denver to meet with the Nuggets about their open position — one that was created after the team parted ways with George Karl following a long run of success that was very similar to how Hollins went out in Memphis.
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25