Jun 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
George Karl went from NBA Coach of the Year to unemployed in 29 days. So, who wants to fill those shoes?
It appears the search is down to former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
The Denver Nuggets have focused their search for a head coach on Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw and will only consider other candidates if they are unable to hire one of those two coaches, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.
Both Hollins and Shaw are in the mix for the Clippers job as well, with Shaw having already interviewed and Hollins still to come this week. And the Clippers likely pay more, plus they have Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Who gets that job is a decision made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling in the end after he gets recommendations from his basketball people and meets personally with the candidates. There is some buzz management wants Shaw and Sterling likes Byron Scott, but Hollins is in the mix and it could go any direction.
Don’t get the Clippers job and they could be in line for a very nice job with the Nuggets — that is a 57-win team, a young team but one that has some questions to answer. Starting with can they bring back Andre Iguodala this summer? And the question of if the new coach will want to change the system that worked last year? But this is a roster with a lot of potential.
It looks more and more like the Nuggets will get their new GM from in-house, Spears reports.
The Nuggets are also strongly leaning toward promoting assistant general manager Pete D’Alessandro to general manager, a league source said. D’Alessandro interviewed with the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday for their GM opening.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 10
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 17
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15