Jun 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
George Karl went from NBA Coach of the Year to unemployed in 29 days. So, who wants to fill those shoes?
It appears the search is down to former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
The Denver Nuggets have focused their search for a head coach on Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw and will only consider other candidates if they are unable to hire one of those two coaches, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.
Both Hollins and Shaw are in the mix for the Clippers job as well, with Shaw having already interviewed and Hollins still to come this week. And the Clippers likely pay more, plus they have Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Who gets that job is a decision made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling in the end after he gets recommendations from his basketball people and meets personally with the candidates. There is some buzz management wants Shaw and Sterling likes Byron Scott, but Hollins is in the mix and it could go any direction.
Don’t get the Clippers job and they could be in line for a very nice job with the Nuggets — that is a 57-win team, a young team but one that has some questions to answer. Starting with can they bring back Andre Iguodala this summer? And the question of if the new coach will want to change the system that worked last year? But this is a roster with a lot of potential.
It looks more and more like the Nuggets will get their new GM from in-house, Spears reports.
The Nuggets are also strongly leaning toward promoting assistant general manager Pete D’Alessandro to general manager, a league source said. D’Alessandro interviewed with the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday for their GM opening.
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 16
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 9
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61