Jun 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EST
George Karl went from NBA Coach of the Year to unemployed in 29 days. So, who wants to fill those shoes?
It appears the search is down to former Grizzlies coach Lionel Hollins and Indiana Pacers assistant Brian Shaw, reports Marc Spears at Yahoo Sports.
The Denver Nuggets have focused their search for a head coach on Lionel Hollins and Brian Shaw and will only consider other candidates if they are unable to hire one of those two coaches, a league source told Yahoo! Sports.
Both Hollins and Shaw are in the mix for the Clippers job as well, with Shaw having already interviewed and Hollins still to come this week. And the Clippers likely pay more, plus they have Chris Paul and Blake Griffin. Who gets that job is a decision made by Clippers owner Donald Sterling in the end after he gets recommendations from his basketball people and meets personally with the candidates. There is some buzz management wants Shaw and Sterling likes Byron Scott, but Hollins is in the mix and it could go any direction.
Don’t get the Clippers job and they could be in line for a very nice job with the Nuggets — that is a 57-win team, a young team but one that has some questions to answer. Starting with can they bring back Andre Iguodala this summer? And the question of if the new coach will want to change the system that worked last year? But this is a roster with a lot of potential.
It looks more and more like the Nuggets will get their new GM from in-house, Spears reports.
The Nuggets are also strongly leaning toward promoting assistant general manager Pete D’Alessandro to general manager, a league source said. D’Alessandro interviewed with the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday for their GM opening.
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 3
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 3
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9