Metta World Peace says Spurs are mentally stronger than Heat

Jun 13, 2013, 11:24 AM EST

Metta World Peace’s post-NBA Finals twitter feed is always some kind of hamburger reference. Seriously.

Why burgers? Because he’s Metta, that’s why.

But he is clearly watching the same games you and I are because in talking with ESPNLosAngeles.com he was talking about the mental toughness of the Spurs compared to the Heat.

“Mentally, the Spurs are strongest right now,” Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace told ESPNLosAngeles.com prior to the Heat’s 113-77 loss to the Spurs on Tuesday. “I think LeBron and (Chris) Bosh, they want it to be given to them. I don’t think they’re taking it upon themselves like a (Michael) Jordan would have done.”

“Chalmers, he wants it,” World Peace said. “He gets it. He’s not as talented as LeBron, but he has more heart. That’s those Derek Fisher type of players. Players that have more heart that are not as talented and play hard.”

The Spurs are relentless in their execution — you can beat them, but they will not beat themselves. The Spurs you saw in the second half of Game 3 will be there in Game 4 (we’ll see if as many three balls fall, but the ball and player movement to create those shots still be there).

The questions are not about the Spurs in Game 4 (save Tony Parker’s hamstring), they are about the Heat — how aggressive will LeBron be? Will anybody else knock down shots? Most importantly, will they bring real defensive intensity?

We all see it. Metta World Peace sees it, too.

1. nycalldayz - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Would Heat fans destroy MWP for these comments? I wouldn’t agrument against Ron, because I do believe at times when things aren’t going Miami’s way, they start to play the blame game or make excuses.

• brutl - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Can’t argue with the man. Doesn’t hurt that I’ve always liked him and his way of seeing the world.
      As a fan of Lebron first and Heat second, I’m disappointed as hell every time I see his attitude change for the worse as things get tough.

2. acdc363 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Dude knows basketball.

3. apmn - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I think that the Spurs are having more fun this year than they have in years past.

4. gmsingh123 - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

The Metta burger grabs you by the throat while you’re sitting in the stands.

5. xLith - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:53 PM

I don’t know if this comment holds less or more credibility coming out of Ron Artest’s mouth.

Oh well, it’s fun to watch the Heat lose.

• mrdpeters - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yeah, but your last comment: “Oh well, it’s fun to watch the Heat lose”, totally destroys your credibility.

• xLith - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Last time I checked, I’m just some average joe on the internet that likes watching the NBA and commenting on NBA articles. I never knew I had any credibility on PBT.COM! Wow!

You must be a Heat fan.

• dudermcrbohan - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

if anything, it gives his comment more credibility

6. badintent - Jun 14, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Consider the source.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches