Jun 13, 2013, 6:34 PM EDT
George Karl was unexpectedly let go after being named NBA Coach of the Year.
So how about taking over for a guy who was unexpectedly let go after getting his team to the Western Conference Finals?
George Karl is going to interview next week with the management of the Memphis Grizzlies, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Karl’s interview is scheduled to take place in Memphis. Former Phoenix Suns coach Alvin Gentry is scheduled to interview Friday in Washington, D.C. Others expected to interview include Chicago Bulls assistant coach Ed Pickney and Grizzlies assistant coach Dave Joerger.
If Hollins gets the Denver job and Karl the Memphis one, we have a coach swap!
On one hand, Karl is somewhat of a better fit than Hollins in that Karl is much more willing to listen to analytics and incorporate that into his game plan. That was a bone of contention between the old-school Hollins and the new-school ownership and management.
But is Karl really a fit. He has designed some pretty versatile offenses over the years, but he’s not really a grit-and-grind guy. The way Memphis got to the conference finals is not his preferred style.
Memphis is interviewing others, but the buzz around the league is this is going to be Joerger’s job. He was Hollins’ defensive coordinator and keeps the continuity they had but with a new face and attitude about analytics.
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 6
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 12
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3