Tracy McGrady pretending to be LeBron James

Jun 12, 2013, 11:07 PM EDT

Tracy McGrady, Kawhi Leonard

Kobe Bryant is one of just three active NBA players who’ve averaged 28 points, six rebounds and five assists per game in multiple seasons. A second is imitating the third.

Reuters:

Heading into the 2013 Finals, McGrady took on the role of simulating LeBron James in practice to help his team prepare for the best-of-seven series against the Miami Heat.

“That was before this series even started, just simulating a little bit of what LeBron does on the basketball court,” said McGrady, whose Spurs lead the best-of-seven series 2-1.

“I’m just doing the best I can and contributing in whatever fashion I can for this team to prepare themselves to win a championship.”

Tracy McGrady’s last 28-6-5 season came nine years ago, and with the Spurs, he’s limited to garbage-time minutes. I’m not sure how much he can really resemble LeBron anymore – and if he can, he should be playing more – but in typical Spurs fashion, everyone has a role to help the team.

As Kawhi Leonard and crew stifle LeBron, McGrady can feel like he’s contributing. McGrady probably envisioned being the best player in an NBA Finals rather than pretending to be him, but if San Antonio wins the title, I bet McGrady will be perfectly satisfied with how he helped.

1. patfic15 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Hopefully TMac can score a few in these Finals. I want to see him go out in style.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:50 AM

I just want to see him go out.

2. mazblast - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:44 PM

He’d stand on his head for twelve hours if it would help get a ring.

• stayhigh_247 - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:51 PM

so would I…

• somekat - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I’d let YOU stand on my other head for 12 hours if it ensured an nba championship ring

• money2long - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:07 AM

um…………”other” head ?
        in the famous words of roy hibbert , no homo ?

• long7575 - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:28 AM

If the Spurs win two more games he will have just as many rings as Lebrick.

• money2long - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:20 AM

just as many rings, and mac got some good statistical seasons to go with it.

3. money2long - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:02 AM

a lot of kobe haters would want you to believe kobe never averaged 5 assists. has durant ever done that though? hm

• redbaronx - Jun 14, 2013 at 8:23 AM

@money2long – What is it with you Lakers ‘fans’? This article wasn’t even about Kobe, and here you are talking about ‘Kobe haters’. Contrary to popular belief, when NBA fans post on here, it’s not all about the Lakers or Kobe!!!

4. bleedtwincitiessports - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Was I the only one who noticed, the Miami fans left with about 5 minutes to go in the game 2, 20 point blowout, but the Spurs fans stayed until the buzzer in the game 3, 36 point blowout?! My point is Miami fans suck and are fake, But the spurs fans are real and stayed to cheer their team on until the end. The only reason I want the Spurs to win the title is for that very reason, Miami DOESN’T deserve to have Lebron, and a championship caliber team! I wish he would’ve stayed with the Cavs! Go Spurs! Coming from a T’Wolves fan!

5. rickyspanish - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:27 AM

bleedtwincitiessports

If you’ve been to a Miami game you’d know that the upper bowl of the arena is packed with “real” fans start to finish. The people in the bottom are a bunch of look-at-me type people. Don’t judge the fans by the rich plastic people that occupy the lower part of the stadium.

6. MOZART - Jun 13, 2013 at 5:18 AM

Yeah, bleedtwincitiessports, I noticed that Heat fans left early in the Heat blowout but Spurs fans stayed until the end. Makes me wonder what kind of fan base the Heat really have.

7. ace3hundred - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:00 AM

I noticed the spurs fans were doing the soccer chant during last 5 minutes of game that the heat fans use. I thought that was a pretty cool moment.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:06 PM

That was awesome

8. cantonbound13 - Jun 13, 2013 at 6:38 AM

So he’s bricking jump shots, flopping & complaining?

• majorhavoc83 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!! :-D

9. freepretzels - Jun 13, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Pop said McGrady would have worked harder if he was foreign.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches