Tony Parker won’t speculate on his availability for Game 4

Jun 12, 2013, 4:59 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-TRAINING

SAN ANTONIO — The official word on Tony Parker on Wednesday was that an MRI confirmed a Grade 1 right hamstring strain that forced him out of Game 3 early, and that he was listed as day-to-day.

That was about as far as he would go in discussing his status for Game 4 on Thursday.

“Today the MRI just confirmed what I felt was a strain, and I was just hoping it was not a tear or a defect,” Parker said. “So the good news it’s not a tear. It’s not a defect. So that’s the good news. Now I just have to see how I’m going to feel tomorrow.”

Parker appeared at Spurs practice, but spent it sitting on the scorer’s table chatting with head coach Gregg Popovich rather than joining his teammates for light stretching and some shooting drills. Neither the coach nor the player would speculate on Parker’s availability for Game 4.

“I say day-to-day because he just had the MRI today,” Popovich said. “And they said it’s Grade 1, and that’s the lowest level of injury, I guess, for the hamstring from what they tell me. But I want to wait until tomorrow before I make a decision whether he should play or not, and obviously a lot of it will have to do with Tony, and what happens to him during the day, and how I think his play will affect our team, whether good or bad.

“It’s unfortunate, but it is what it is, and we’ll see what he looks like tomorrow. A lot of it will be what he feels, I think.”

The play of the rest of the Spurs through the first three games of the series makes it easier for Parker to not feel any pressure in terms of trying to return too quickly if he isn’t right physically.

“I’m not putting pressure on myself,” Parker said. “The whole series I have to be patient. A lot of the Miami defensive focus is on me. So my teammates are taking advantage of it, and they are playing great. And hopefully they can keep it going.”

Parker did admit that with his team two wins away from a championship, he’d obviously like to go if at all possible.

“Coach Pop always prefers the rest, to avoid injury,” Parker said. “If it was the regular season I would definitely have rest. I would not play. And same thing here, it’s an injury, and so we’ll see. We’ll see how I feel tomorrow; talk with Pop.

“Obviously it’s The Finals, you know. I know Pop is always going to prefer we take no risk. I’m just going to stay positive and see how I feel tomorrow.”

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:17 PM

If he won’t speculate, then allow me. He’s playing.

• spursareold - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Yeah, the recovery time for this is a week. Spurs don’t have a week. If you can’t hit the recovery window, you just play and hope for the best.

2. uscoach - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:44 PM

No way he doesn’t play. But if things look bleak with10 to go, he will sit the rest.

3. scorp16 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Yeah I don’t think it’s even in question. He’s playing. San Antonio has no interest in coming back to Miami. They’d like to close this thing out over the next two games at home.

The real issue is how does Spoelstra adjust to this. I think you are going to see alot of pressure on Parker. Miami will make him split the trap hoping he’ll get rid of it a little quicker and see if they can’t force some turnovers. If he takes it to the hole with a quick stop for the spot up he may risk injuring it further.

4. savvybynature - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:54 PM

If he sits tomorrow, he will get until Sunday to get as close to 100% as possible. That’s 4 full days of rest.
    I’d guess he plays, but I wouldn’t put anything past Pop.

5. cranespy - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Such a series of opposites……class organization….outstanding coach……team full of high quality men who understand the concept of TEAM vs an organization that defers to the 2 stars and has a mediocre coach of a group of individuals who glare, prance, whoop, holler, push, pull and DIVE to win games. Certainly would be great to see the good guys win one more before Tim retires back home in the islands! Would be fun just to see Pat blow up the BIG THREE……he’s angling for a way to replace Bosh with K Love…..

6. kavika6 - Jun 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

It isn’t likely that Tony and Pop will participate in another championship series so I hope Tony gives everything he can while the Spurs have the edge. He’ll have a long summer to recuperate.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches