Jun 12, 2013, 11:38 PM EDT
Otto Porter is one of the most polished prospects in the NBA Draft. He showed an ability to run Georgetown’s offense, and his smooth jumper gave him success off the ball, too. He has ideal size for his position in the NBA, which made him a good defender in college.
Porter is also younger than Ben McLemore, Victor Oladipo, Trey Burke and Anthony Bennett, so he has plenty of potential.
Porter’s polish and potential combine to make him valuable in the draft, and he’s acting accordingly. Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer:
Agent David Falk confirms Porter will work out only for the teams with the top three picks: Cleveland, Orlando and Washington. That means Falk, who is Washington-based, feels strongly that Porter can go no later than the Wizards’ No. 3 pick. I’d heard as much from various NBA sources.
The Cavaliers and Wizards have both made clear they aren’t interested in a prolonged rebuild and want to make the playoffs next season. Both teams also need a small forward more than any other position. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving and Dion Waiters as guards and Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao as bigs. Washington has John Wall and Bradley Beal as guards and Nene and Emeka Okafor as bigs. Considering he appears so NBA ready, Porter could slide right in and start from day one and help either team increase its playoff chances.
Orlando isn’t quite so obvious as a fit, considering Maurice Harkless and Tobias Harris have shown promise. But the Magic, which view rebuilding as a multi-year project, might not be worried about chemistry between their players quite yet. After all, there’s always plenty of time to trade one. They could see how good Porter is already and how young he is and decided to sort out the rest later.
My money is on Porter staying in the D.C. area and going to the Wizards at No. 3.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 2
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 4
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 7
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 9
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31