LeBron says he ‘played like s—‘ in Game 3, guarantees he’ll be better in Game 4

Jun 12, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-TRAINING

SAN ANTONIO — The overriding theme for the Miami Heat at practice on Wednesday was to put the lack of effort they brought to their blowout Game 3 loss behind them, and focus on making the necessary adjustments to ensure the same thing doesn’t happen again in Game 4.

LeBron James guaranteed that he personally will turn things around.

“I played like s—,” he said. “I take full responsibility for our team’s performance last night. Me as a leader, I can’t afford to perform like I did last night and expect us to win on the road. It’s that simple. So I’m putting all the pressure on my chest, on my shoulders to come through for our team. That’s the way it is.”

James didn’t shoot the ball well in Game 3, especially from midrange where he made just one of his nine attempts. While finishing with 15 points is obviously a concern, the level of aggression he played with was what he saw as the bigger issue that needs to immediately be corrected.

“I have to do whatever it takes,” James said. “I mean, 7‑for‑21 isn’t going to cut it. Zero free throws. I had 11 rebounds, I had 5 assists, but 7‑for‑21 and zero free throws ain’t going to cut it. So I will be better tomorrow.”

“You can’t have both,” James explained. “If you go 7‑for‑21, but you get to the free‑throw line ten‑plus times, you’re being aggressive. You have to be able to shoot the ball at a high clip from the field if you’re not going to the free‑throw line. You can’t have both. It’s impossible for me to go 7‑for‑21, shoot 33% from the field and not have free throws. You have to figure out ways offensively that you can make an impact.”

The Heat have shown a consistent ability to bounce back after losses this season, and have usually done so in convincing fashion. As recently as Game 2 of the Finals, the Heat won by 19 after dropping a close one at home to open the series.

Miami’s head coach Erik Spoelstra believes his team possesses the necessary confidence in its ability to do it once more, and specifically expects James to be the one who leads the way.

“Look, we have great confidence from our guys and their ability to bounce back and respond in a big way,” Spoelstra said. “And that’s all our focus is the next 24 hours, how do we prepare ourselves to play our best game of the series tomorrow night.  That’s the only thing that matters. LJ has proven himself enough in this league and on the biggest stage. He is going to … he’ll be better.”

James is certain of it.

“I’m just confident in my ability,” he said. “And my teammates are going to put me in positions to succeed, and the coaching staff will put us in positions to succeed. I’m a positive guy. I love the game. I have fun with the game.”

“As dark as it was last night, can’t get no darker than that, especially for me,” James said. “So I guarantee I’ll be better tomorrow for sure.”

Latest Posts
  1. Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments

Jul 29, 2015, 12:05 AM EDT

Celebrities At Game 3 Of The Lakers/Suns Getty Images

Cuban said presidential candidate is ‘probably the best thing to happen to politics in a long, long time’

2. Report: Warriors to sign Ian Clark

Jul 28, 2015, 11:09 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Golden State Warriors Getty Images

Could former summer-league standout fill Golden State’s need for an off-the-bench shooter?

3. Mavericks sign Jamil Wilson, Brandon Ashley

Jul 28, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT

Washington Wizards vs New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Dallas also reportedly talking to Salah Mejri

4. Report: Serge Ibaka not yet cleared to play after March surgery

Jul 28, 2015, 8:19 PM EDT

"Son Of The Congo" - 2015 SXSW Music, Film + Interactive Festival Getty Images

Thunder power forward was scheduled to play in African exhibition game

5. Heat sign Josh Richardson

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT

Josh Richardson, Spencer Dinwiddle AP

Miami cleared roster room for second-round pick

6. Nicolas Batum responds to Toronto rumor in hysterical fashion

Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

I can tell you where Batum will land next summer — whichever team offers him the most money.

7. Report: Knicks, Lakers, Wizards still interested in Kevin Seraphin

Jul 28, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT

Washington Wizards v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

The Lakers and Knicks don’t make a ton of sense for him.

8. Former NBA All-Star Vin Baker training to be Starbucks manager

Jul 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EDT

Vin Baker AP

He’s been sober four years, which is most important.

9. Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick

Jul 28, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Michael Jordan Michael Jordan

Did Michael Jordan hijack the draft process in Charlotte again?

10. Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign

Jul 28, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Scott Walker Scott Walker

Walker is expected to sign the bill to allocate funds for a new arena.

11. Nets owner Mikhail Prokhorov: “We had a really good offseason.”

Jul 28, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT

Mikhail Prokhorov Mikhail Prokhorov

The Nets added solid role players in addition to re-signing Brook Lopez and Thaddeus Young.

12. Report: Clippers center Ekpe Udoh signs one-year deal in Turkey

Jul 28, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT

Ekpe Udoh Ekpe Udoh

Udoh played five seasons with the Warriors, Bucks and Clippers.

13. Matt Barnes on Serge Ibaka: “He’s just dirty.”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:59 PM EDT

Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green Serge Ibaka, Jeff Green

Barnes hasn’t forgotten Ibaka’s altercations with Blake Griffin.

14. Karl-Anthony Towns: I want Kevin Garnett to teach me “how to be a champion”

Jul 28, 2015, 12:54 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

Garnett came out to Summer League practices to work with Towns.

15. Mason Plumlee rapping? Yes, Mason Plumlee rapping. (VIDEO)

Jul 28, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Mason Plumlee with a money gun shooting $100s.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches