LeBron says he ‘played like s—‘ in Game 3, guarantees he’ll be better in Game 4

Jun 12, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-TRAINING

SAN ANTONIO — The overriding theme for the Miami Heat at practice on Wednesday was to put the lack of effort they brought to their blowout Game 3 loss behind them, and focus on making the necessary adjustments to ensure the same thing doesn’t happen again in Game 4.

LeBron James guaranteed that he personally will turn things around.

“I played like s—,” he said. “I take full responsibility for our team’s performance last night. Me as a leader, I can’t afford to perform like I did last night and expect us to win on the road. It’s that simple. So I’m putting all the pressure on my chest, on my shoulders to come through for our team. That’s the way it is.”

James didn’t shoot the ball well in Game 3, especially from midrange where he made just one of his nine attempts. While finishing with 15 points is obviously a concern, the level of aggression he played with was what he saw as the bigger issue that needs to immediately be corrected.

“I have to do whatever it takes,” James said. “I mean, 7‑for‑21 isn’t going to cut it. Zero free throws. I had 11 rebounds, I had 5 assists, but 7‑for‑21 and zero free throws ain’t going to cut it. So I will be better tomorrow.”

“You can’t have both,” James explained. “If you go 7‑for‑21, but you get to the free‑throw line ten‑plus times, you’re being aggressive. You have to be able to shoot the ball at a high clip from the field if you’re not going to the free‑throw line. You can’t have both. It’s impossible for me to go 7‑for‑21, shoot 33% from the field and not have free throws. You have to figure out ways offensively that you can make an impact.”

The Heat have shown a consistent ability to bounce back after losses this season, and have usually done so in convincing fashion. As recently as Game 2 of the Finals, the Heat won by 19 after dropping a close one at home to open the series.

Miami’s head coach Erik Spoelstra believes his team possesses the necessary confidence in its ability to do it once more, and specifically expects James to be the one who leads the way.

“Look, we have great confidence from our guys and their ability to bounce back and respond in a big way,” Spoelstra said. “And that’s all our focus is the next 24 hours, how do we prepare ourselves to play our best game of the series tomorrow night.  That’s the only thing that matters. LJ has proven himself enough in this league and on the biggest stage. He is going to … he’ll be better.”

James is certain of it.

“I’m just confident in my ability,” he said. “And my teammates are going to put me in positions to succeed, and the coaching staff will put us in positions to succeed. I’m a positive guy. I love the game. I have fun with the game.”

“As dark as it was last night, can’t get no darker than that, especially for me,” James said. “So I guarantee I’ll be better tomorrow for sure.”

Latest Posts
  1. Report: Russell Westbrook marrying longtime girlfriend this weekend

Aug 27, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT

Russell Westbrook Russell Westbrook

Westbrook and Nina Earl have been together since college.

2. Stephanie Ready to become first full-time female local NBA game color analyst

Aug 27, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT

From twitter.com/StephanieReady From twitter.com/StephanieReady

As an NBA League Pass junkie I’ll tell you why I’m happy — she’s good.

3. Remembering Darryl Dawkins’ 20 greatest dunks (VIDEO)

Aug 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwqxntu4mwq2otc2otkyntezmgm0njfmyjexywywmtdk AP

If you’re keeping score at home, there are two shattered backboards on the list.

4. Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58

Aug 27, 2015, 4:25 PM EDT

NBA House - Moynihan Station 2015 Getty Images

Chocolate Thunder remained an ambassador of the game.

5. Report: Ryan Hollins receiving interest from Kings, Wizards, Clippers

Aug 27, 2015, 3:31 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

He probably will land on a roster somewhere. Eventually.

6. Pelicans pull French center Alexis Ajinca out of EuroBasket

Aug 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Minnesota Timberwolves Getty Images

This is a blow to France, but they remain one of the deepest teams at EuroBasket and one of the favorites.

7. Despite earlier report, Chuck Hayes will not sign with Rockets

Aug 27, 2015, 1:54 PM EDT

Toronto Raptors v New York Knicks Getty Images

Houston’s salary cap picture changed before the deal got inked.

8. Pistons’ Brandon Jennings says when healthy he’s fine with being sixth man

Aug 27, 2015, 11:54 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Detroit Pistons Getty Images

Stan Van Gundy wants to play Brandon Jennings and Stephen Jackson together at times.

9. Report: Clippers, Glen Davis still talking about potential deal

Aug 27, 2015, 9:15 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Houston Rockets - Game Two Getty Images

At this point in his career Davis is the “break glass in case of emergency” big.

10. LeBron James sells Miami home for cool $13.4 million

Aug 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

LeBron James AP

LeBron turned a $4.4 million profit.

11. Report: Derrick Rose being sued by ex-girlfriend alleging rape, drugging

Aug 27, 2015, 12:58 AM EDT

Chicago Bulls V Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Four Getty Images

There is no criminal report filed in this case. Rose nor his attorney have yet to comment on the report or suit.

12. Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era

Aug 26, 2015, 11:25 PM EDT

Los Angeles Lakers' center Shaquille O'Neal (L) la Getty Images

Was there ever a more Shakespearean NBA drama than Shaq/Kobe?

Top 10 NBA Player Searches