LeBron says he ‘played like s—‘ in Game 3, guarantees he’ll be better in Game 4

Jun 12, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-TRAINING

SAN ANTONIO — The overriding theme for the Miami Heat at practice on Wednesday was to put the lack of effort they brought to their blowout Game 3 loss behind them, and focus on making the necessary adjustments to ensure the same thing doesn’t happen again in Game 4.

LeBron James guaranteed that he personally will turn things around.

“I played like s—,” he said. “I take full responsibility for our team’s performance last night. Me as a leader, I can’t afford to perform like I did last night and expect us to win on the road. It’s that simple. So I’m putting all the pressure on my chest, on my shoulders to come through for our team. That’s the way it is.”

James didn’t shoot the ball well in Game 3, especially from midrange where he made just one of his nine attempts. While finishing with 15 points is obviously a concern, the level of aggression he played with was what he saw as the bigger issue that needs to immediately be corrected.

“I have to do whatever it takes,” James said. “I mean, 7‑for‑21 isn’t going to cut it. Zero free throws. I had 11 rebounds, I had 5 assists, but 7‑for‑21 and zero free throws ain’t going to cut it. So I will be better tomorrow.”

“You can’t have both,” James explained. “If you go 7‑for‑21, but you get to the free‑throw line ten‑plus times, you’re being aggressive. You have to be able to shoot the ball at a high clip from the field if you’re not going to the free‑throw line. You can’t have both. It’s impossible for me to go 7‑for‑21, shoot 33% from the field and not have free throws. You have to figure out ways offensively that you can make an impact.”

The Heat have shown a consistent ability to bounce back after losses this season, and have usually done so in convincing fashion. As recently as Game 2 of the Finals, the Heat won by 19 after dropping a close one at home to open the series.

Miami’s head coach Erik Spoelstra believes his team possesses the necessary confidence in its ability to do it once more, and specifically expects James to be the one who leads the way.

“Look, we have great confidence from our guys and their ability to bounce back and respond in a big way,” Spoelstra said. “And that’s all our focus is the next 24 hours, how do we prepare ourselves to play our best game of the series tomorrow night.  That’s the only thing that matters. LJ has proven himself enough in this league and on the biggest stage. He is going to … he’ll be better.”

James is certain of it.

“I’m just confident in my ability,” he said. “And my teammates are going to put me in positions to succeed, and the coaching staff will put us in positions to succeed. I’m a positive guy. I love the game. I have fun with the game.”

“As dark as it was last night, can’t get no darker than that, especially for me,” James said. “So I guarantee I’ll be better tomorrow for sure.”

Latest Posts
  1. Michael Carter-Williams cleared to return to practice Nov. 6

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Michael Carter-Williams

Reigning Rookie of the Year had offseason shoulder surgery, but may not miss many regular season games.

2. Gregg Popovich after Spurs go 2-5 in preseason: ‘We look like we’re not very interested’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Gregg Popovich Gregg Popovich

Defending champs have no reason to exert themselves until the games count in the standings.

3. Nets head coach Hollins believes Brook Lopez will be ready for opening night

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT

New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014 New Jersey Nets practice 05/07/2014

Lopez hasn’t practiced since it was reported he suffered a soft tissue injury to his surgically repaired foot on Oct. 16.

4. Report: Klay Thompson’s camp ‘frustrated’ Warriors have yet to offer a max contract extension

Oct 25, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Klay Thompson Klay Thompson

Warriors hold (almost) all the leverage, because Thompson will be a restricted free agent next summer.

5. 67RIEFNS: Warriors starters with Draymond Green

Oct 25, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers Golden State Warriors v Los Angeles Lakers

Lineup data shows Green greatly improves his team’s chances when playing with the starters.

6. 67RIEFNS: Lance Stephenson on the loose

Oct 25, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers Charlotte Hornets vs Philadelphia 76ers

Is Stephenson ready for responsibility that comes with going from Pacers to Hornets?

7. Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson

Oct 25, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Tristan Thompson Tristan Thompson

It might be because short of an insane offer of a max deal, Thompson would rather take his chances as a restricted free agent next summer.

8. Kings’ Ray McCallum sinks put-back at the buzzer to beat Lakers

Oct 25, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT

Ray McCallum AP

Nice job of McCallum to stay active on a play where he had already missed a shot.

9. 67RIEFNS: Isaiah Thomas vs. Sacramento Kings

Oct 25, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings Los Angeles Clippers v Sacramento Kings

Will Thomas make Kings regret choosing Darren Collison over him?

10. Thunder’s Anthony Morrow to miss 4-6 weeks with knee sprain

Oct 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT

Grizzlies vs Thunder Grizzlies vs Thunder

Thunder will be very short-handed the first month of the regular season.

11. Player intentionally makes shot in own basket in attempt to force overtime

Oct 24, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

And it was probably the smartest possible play

12. 67RIEFNS: K.J. McDaniels testing the second-round system

Oct 24, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT

2014 NBA Rookie Photo Shoot Getty Images

76ers forwent any guaranteed salary to hit free agency sooner

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches