LeBron says he ‘played like s—’ in Game 3, guarantees he’ll be better in Game 4

Jun 12, 2013, 5:51 PM EDT

BASKET-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-TRAINING

SAN ANTONIO — The overriding theme for the Miami Heat at practice on Wednesday was to put the lack of effort they brought to their blowout Game 3 loss behind them, and focus on making the necessary adjustments to ensure the same thing doesn’t happen again in Game 4.

LeBron James guaranteed that he personally will turn things around.

“I played like s—,” he said. “I take full responsibility for our team’s performance last night. Me as a leader, I can’t afford to perform like I did last night and expect us to win on the road. It’s that simple. So I’m putting all the pressure on my chest, on my shoulders to come through for our team. That’s the way it is.”

James didn’t shoot the ball well in Game 3, especially from midrange where he made just one of his nine attempts. While finishing with 15 points is obviously a concern, the level of aggression he played with was what he saw as the bigger issue that needs to immediately be corrected.

“I have to do whatever it takes,” James said. “I mean, 7‑for‑21 isn’t going to cut it. Zero free throws. I had 11 rebounds, I had 5 assists, but 7‑for‑21 and zero free throws ain’t going to cut it. So I will be better tomorrow.”

“You can’t have both,” James explained. “If you go 7‑for‑21, but you get to the free‑throw line ten‑plus times, you’re being aggressive. You have to be able to shoot the ball at a high clip from the field if you’re not going to the free‑throw line. You can’t have both. It’s impossible for me to go 7‑for‑21, shoot 33% from the field and not have free throws. You have to figure out ways offensively that you can make an impact.”

The Heat have shown a consistent ability to bounce back after losses this season, and have usually done so in convincing fashion. As recently as Game 2 of the Finals, the Heat won by 19 after dropping a close one at home to open the series.

Miami’s head coach Erik Spoelstra believes his team possesses the necessary confidence in its ability to do it once more, and specifically expects James to be the one who leads the way.

“Look, we have great confidence from our guys and their ability to bounce back and respond in a big way,” Spoelstra said. “And that’s all our focus is the next 24 hours, how do we prepare ourselves to play our best game of the series tomorrow night.  That’s the only thing that matters. LJ has proven himself enough in this league and on the biggest stage. He is going to … he’ll be better.”

James is certain of it.

“I’m just confident in my ability,” he said. “And my teammates are going to put me in positions to succeed, and the coaching staff will put us in positions to succeed. I’m a positive guy. I love the game. I have fun with the game.”

“As dark as it was last night, can’t get no darker than that, especially for me,” James said. “So I guarantee I’ll be better tomorrow for sure.”

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:56 PM

Been waiting for this one. This from Eddie’s solo work and I think LeBron appropriate:

“Leave it to me as I find a way to be
    Consider me a satellite forever orbiting
    I knew all the rules, but the rules did not know me
    Guaranteed”

Starting to Get Right

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Check out this link bandwagoners & try spinning this. Further proof the heat fan base is a joke around the country!

• iwillfindyou - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Bruised Vulva part was classic

• cwilson6843 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:38 PM

Shut up

• azarkhan - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Apropos LeBron:

Whatsoever I’ve feared has come to life
      Whatsoever I’ve fought off became my life
      Just when everyday seemed to greet me with a smile
      Sunspots have faded and now I’m doing time
      Cause I fell on black days

Soundgarden

• sellahh - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

How dumb u have to be to believe this Jimmy Kimmel stuff is real is beyond me, wow.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM

While I am appalled at the way the beautiful music/lyrics of Chris Cornell are being used in a blasphemous manner, I am giving you a strong tip of the cap for playing the game hard and playing the game right.

But it’s Cornell you want:

“If you think you won
        you never saw me change
        the game that we have been playing

I’ve seen diamonds cut through harder men
        than yourself but if you must pretend
        you may meet your end.

Arm yourself because noone else
        here will save you.
        The odds will betray you.

The coldest blood runs through my veins
        You Know My Name”

Bron…James LeBron

• gostlcards5 - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Or how about famous quotes for LBJ (a la Rowdy Roddy Piper):

“Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions.”

“I came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I’m all outta bubblegum.”

“I am your reality check!”

AND… my personal favorite:
        “I’m so quick, I could spit in the wind, duck, and let it hit the old lady behind me.”

—> Time to show it, LeBron….

2. patfic15 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Its cool Bron…just throw yourself into your defender like you normally do and the calls will come.

• iwillfindyou - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Here comes another flop video compilation. I can see it now.

• polegojim - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Great talent does not make up for… Weak Mindedness.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 13, 2013 at 4:47 PM

When LeBron said he was going to play better did he already know Scott Foster was going to be the ref?

3. asimonetti88 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

Will be fined for his comments like Roy Hibbert was for saying motherf—ers?

• mannyfresh209 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Pretty sure Hibbert directed that at the media he’s obligated to speak with. Bron directed it at himself. Also, “no homo” wasn’t said. He’s good playa

4. breastfedted - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:16 PM

Don’t worry Lebron, Stern will soon realize you can’t beat the Spurs on your own and will start lending you his hand as usual with his patented game rigging

5. rickyspanish - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:28 PM

cantonbound13

That made me cry I was laughing so hard. Didn’t Kimmel do the same thing to Lakers fans?

• sellahh - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:43 PM

No, he did it to some actors. You guys are really not too bright :/

• rickyspanish - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Doesn’t change the fact it was funny.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM

The fans in the clip were MiamiMatt (red hat) moveback (shirtless guy) Leaha (big woman) & Pantsfree(praising the peek a boo zone).

6. 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Yo CB13! Check out my boy Azarkhan’s post. Now THAT’s a guy who’s bringing it strong! Loved his post. Even though it hurt. But that’s why it was so good.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Azarkan? Sounds like a terrorist.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Now now, don’t be jealous.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

There’s still hope for mankind when cantonbound and 1972 have a civil exchange. One things you guys are not are trolls. You’re the real deal: proud of your teams, willing to talk trash, but cognizant of sport’s relationship to the bigger picture: culture.

7. magic407 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Im not much of a Bron hater but Timmy deserves to retire with this ‘ship … Last night was a flat out a$$ whoopin. Bron needs to quit that leadership excuse… everyone is on salary … they know they need to step up and be hungry… it was a simple a$$ whoopin!

8. azarkhan - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:08 PM

1972wasalongtimeago: Very nice! But I think these lines are more suitable for the Spurs, who are playing for their 5th NBA championship:

I’ve seen angels fall from blinding heights
    But you yourself (LeBron) are nothing so divine
    Just next in line

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:19 PM

YEEESSSSSSS!!!!!!! I left the door open and you nailed it!

Cantonbound13 has been trying to get to me for 2+ years with absolutely no effect. You got me in two moves. Love it. Saw Cornell down here in Miami last May. Audioslave at UM a few years back. Haven’t seen SG yet . Yet.

Enjoy the game tomorrow night. I hope it makes you miserable (but in a good way).

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Why don’t you two get a room?

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I had the over/under on you making that exact comment at 7:45pm. Son predictable. So basic. So simple. So easy.

9. dolphindubs - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:05 PM

@cantonbound13

Dude, the only thing more pathetic than bandwagoner Heat fans are bandwagoner ANTI-Heat fans.

Have you always hated the Heat? Or just since the formation of the “big 3″?

• patfic15 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:14 PM

You actually have a good point here. Soon, it will be the popular thing to dislike the Heat similar to the way people hated the Bulls. Of course, the Bulls were much closer to being a great team with the largest difference being the mental toughness. Oh and the GOAT.

• jimeejohnson - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Larry Johnson vs. Alonzo Mourning: that ramped up the animosity between the Knicks and Heat in a very big way.

10. kb2408 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Wait a minute…didn’t LeBron say he was “50 times” better now than in 07?!

• money2long - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

well, maybe the spurs might just be better too .

11. lakerluver - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I don’t care if MJ, Bird, Kobe, Isiah or Magic were shooting 5-25, they would still believe the next one is going in! And they definitely wouldn’t stop shooting or lose confidence. I actually like LeBron as a player but he is a front runner. As long as he’s playing well, everything is cool. But as soon as some adversity comes his way, he goes into a shell. And, in his case, his body language and facial expression reveal his lack of confidence. That, in a nutshell, is the difference in LeBron and the other truly elite players. The dude is in his tenth season, his intestinal fortitude should not still be in question. Please, stop comparing him to Kobe and MJ. Physically, he is superior to them both. However, that does not make him a better player than they were. Shaquille is physically superior to Kareem but he was not a better player.

• urodaddy07 - Jun 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I agree with a lot of what you say and if you break his game down his game you realize some of the comparisons aren’t in his favor. However, he is the best player in the league now and I give him credit for taking responsibility for the loss.

12. kb2408 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:12 PM

@patfic15, people hated the Bulls for the same reason they’ve hated the LAKERS: because they won titles. People hate the Heat because of LeBron’s prediction of multiple titles, the way the so-called “big 3″ conspired to play together and because of their front running fans.

13. kb2408 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The truth hurts, huh?^^

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches