Jun 12, 2013, 8:07 PM EDT
After parting ways with Lionel Hollins earlier this week, there won’t be a shortage of candidates interested in the Grizzlies now vacant head coaching position.
Memphis has a solid roster and reached the Western Conference Finals for the first time in team history this season, and the organization is looking at both veterans of the game and potential first-timers as the one who will be expected to lead the franchise for the next several years.
Former Phoenix Suns head coach Alvin Gentry will be the next to interview for the position, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo! Sports.
Gentry was contacted by the Grizzlies on Wednesday and is expected to interview with owner Robert Pera and CEO Jason Levien in Washington, D.C.. on Friday. Other coaching candidates include Grizzlies assistant coach Dave Joerger, former Denver Nuggets coach George Karl and Chicago Bulls assistant coach Ed Pickney, a league source said. Memphis is expected to conduct interviews through next week.
Gentry worked under Mike D’Antoni with the famed Seven Seconds or Less teams in Phoenix, and succeeded Terry Porter to coach the Suns for three full years and parts of two others before being replaced by the franchise once it admitted to itself it was time to start from scratch halfway through last season. He guided the Suns to the Western Conference Finals in 2010.
Memphis struggled on the offensive end of the floor during the regular season, and finished near the bottom of the league in the relevant statistical categories. Gentry’s experience in pushing the tempo and creating quality shots early in possessions for his teams would be an asset to the Grizzlies, as would his ability to command respect from his veteran players.
Gentry has been linked to the Clippers head coaching vacancy, although an interview has yet to be scheduled.
- Elimination game Josh Smith is a thing, Rockets live to play another day 0
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 3
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 30
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31