Even Spurs see Wade not right; Wade says Heat “big 3” have to step up

Jun 12, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT

dwyane wade Reuters

It’s been obvious to you and me, you think the Spurs missed it?

Dwyane Wade isn’t as explosive and dangerous as normal, the bone bruise in his knee is holding him back.

“You can tell something’s not right,” San Antonio’s Danny Green said at practice Wednesday, and he’s the guy who has spent a lot of the last three games covering Wade.

By covering, I mean helping off him to clog the paint when LeBron James has the ball. Tom Haberstroh summed it up well over at ESPN: Wade has never had a jump shot you had to fear from distance (he shot 38 percent in the midrange this season, 25.8 percent from three) but you always had to respect that explosive first step that got him by defenders and to the rim.

But now you don’t have to respect that explosion because the bone bruise in his knee has robbed him of it. So Wade is being covered like he’s Rajon Rondo. Wade knows it, too.

“They just go, obviously on my pick-and-rolls they go under. And that’s pretty much it,” Wade said at practice Wednesday. “Limiting my opportunities. I shoot some, some I don’t. Some I get in the paint, and try to make plays…

“I got some shots in the second half that I liked. I just missed them. I think out of my 15 shots, 14 of them I would love to take every time. I thought one of them I rushed. But the rest was good shots.”

Wade, like LeBron and Chris Bosh, were clear that Miami’s stars were too passive on both ends of the floor and it is up to them to change things around in Game 4.

{“We’re getting good opportunities. We have to try to do our best to make more of our opportunities. We’re getting good shots. We’re getting some shots that we want….” Wade said. “But if us three don’t lead the charge, we’re not going to be NBA champions. Our teammates count on us, so we have to step up.”

The three of them have to step up. But it can’t be just one of them, it can’t be just LeBron carrying everyone and hoping Mario Chalmers or Mike Miller steps up.

It is going to have to be Wade and Bosh that make the Spurs defense pay for how it is choosing to play them.

1. explosionsauce - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:32 PM

Teamwork > 2 has beens and a MVP averaging 18 points

2. jzone954 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Wade needs to get surgery if this seems to he the recurring things for the last 2 years. Get healthy my friend

3. jbeagles23 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:43 PM

It’s funny how no one mentions that Parker isn’t excactly dominating this series.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:03 PM

You get the benefit of the doubt when you’re winning.

4. spursareold - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I watched the Indy series, and said that Pop needed to bench anyone following Wade over a pick.

5. spursareold - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:04 PM

Oh, and Spo was stupid for valuing regular season wins and the streak more than the health of his ball club. Wade should have been shut down, not allowed to continue to play on it for no good reason.

6. jbeagles23 - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:42 PM

He didn’t play him during the streak to keep that going. This is a knee injury that will require surgery meaning that pain would be there regardless

• gmsingh123 - Jun 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Hey Beagles, how many knees does Wade have injured at this point–2 or 3?

7. 13arod - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:50 PM

bosh needs to get more rebounds only getting 5 a game

• mazblast - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Chrissie don’t like the paint. Never has.

8. cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Wade breaks down at the end of every year now. He’s Iverson 2.0

9. mannyfresh209 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I don’t see how Wade starts every game this series so strong, and by 2nd half he’s disappeared all together it seems. Interesting.

That being said, LeBron….at least get blocked at the fkn rim like you did to Tiago. He gets in the lane almost at will still, yet passes out to shooters every time. You gotta go up with the ball in the paint to get the calls!!

10. kb2408 - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

@cantonbound13, I said the exact same thing but Heat “fans” refused to believe it.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 13, 2013 at 12:13 PM

They weren’t watching the NBA when Iverson played

11. gmsingh123 - Jun 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

“Even Spurs”? Are they usually too stupid to see these things? WTF? Actually, I think the only thing wrong with Wade is he takes about 50% of the plays off in his old age. One things for sure: he sure doesn’t deserve any excuses. There’s no crying in basketball.

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches