Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’
Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”
After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.
“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”
Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.
The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.
- Son tweets Craig Sager has acute leukemia 5
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 6
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 22
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 42
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 50