Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’
Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”
After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.
“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”
Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.
The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.
- Report: Kobe Bryant viewed Dwight Howard leaving Lakers in free agency as ‘a positive’ 9
- Report: Cavaliers have had ‘zero discussion’ on contract extension with Tristan Thompson 9
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 10
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 70
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71