Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’
Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EST
Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”
After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.
“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”
Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.
The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 32
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8