Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’
Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”
After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.
“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”
Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.
The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 22
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 9
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 27
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 15
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 71
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 68