Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’
Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT
Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”
After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.
“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”
Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.
The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 6
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 16
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24
- Stephen Curry, LeBron James unanimous choices, lead All-NBA First Team 24
- Rockets vs. Warriors Game 2: Five things to watch 8