Erik Spoelstra: ‘We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved … We got what we deserved’

Jun 12, 2013, 1:27 AM EDT

Erik Spoelstra AP

Miami Heat coach Erick Spoelstra’s entire opening statement after Miami’s 113-77 Game 3 loss to the San Antonio Spurs was, “Well, we got what we deserved.”

After he repeated the phrase – “We got what we deserved” – for the third time while answering questions from reporters, Spoelstra was asked what exactly he meant by it.

“You know what I mean by that,” Spoelstra said. “It’s pretty obvious. They played with more force and more focus. The teams that do that typically get what you deserve. They outplayed us, out-classed us from the very tip.”

Unfortunately for Spoelstra and the Heat, they might deserve more than just a single loss after their 36-point beat-down, the third-worst loss in Finals history.

The three previous teams to lose a Finals game by at least 35 points – the 2008 Los Angeles Lakers (by 39 to the Boston Celtics), 1998 Utah Jazz (by 42 to the Chicago Bulls) and 1978 Washington Bullets (by 35 to the Seattle SuperSonics) – lost their series.

1. 00maltliquor - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I’d be willing to bet an exorbiant amount of money that this will not happen to the Heat again this series.

So far, so good. I have been thoroughly entertained so far. The Spurs are making it hard for the Heatles. Still can’t wrap my brain around thinking the Heat WON’T win it all. I hope I’m wrong.

BTW, there were articles written about Danny Green going 5-5 from 3 last game setting a finals record or something like that. I know they got their butts whupppped but Mike Miller went 5-5 today. Just saying.

• jacksonkane - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:33 AM

The Heat won’t get blown out by 36 points again. Duh.

Anyone would make the same bet. That’s like saying Birdman will probably get another tattoo this summer.

• hehateme2 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Is there any room left for more?

• 00maltliquor - Jun 12, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Not necessarily by 36 foo, but just a whipping in general. How bout this, they will not lose by more then 14 pts. the rest of the way.

• mytthor - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Yeah good call. They won’t have the third worst loss in history again?

2. 2late2matter - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:22 AM

You’ve gotta believe that Texas home turf matters, as the Spurs have apparently not played many of their playoff wins there!

And the 36-point spanking left the Heat looking like a pick-up playground team, not a professional NBA franchise. Is that really the best ‘the choker’ LBJ can do?

Cannot wait for Thursday’s upcoming thrashing. Go Spurs!

3. hannsta - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Thats a bad girl..

4. sunsation3413 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:59 AM

Its just not gonna happen for the Heat this year. Timmy, Manu and Parker…probably their last shot together and the Spurs have the team to exploit all the Heats weaknesses. Enjoy your off season Bron Bron.

5. cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:54 AM

Watch out Spurs, the Heat down 2-1, this is usually when Dwhine Wade cheap shots somebody in an attempt to injure them. Ask Rondo, Collisin, etc…

• gmsingh123 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:29 AM

The Spurs would be wise to wear Kevlar in their groin areas.

• bstmusic1 - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:33 PM

You must not have noticed that Wade DID hit Ginobili in the groin last night on one of Manu’s drives to the basked.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM

No, I didn’t see that. The Spurs have been getting hammered the whole series. Parker is so beat up he had to leave the game. I’m hoping the Heat don’t win another game so they can contemplate how much they, and the NBA, are losers.

• messiaheat - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Cantonbound13, you and the Knicks are about as relevant as the collection of crumbled up receipts at the bottom of my purse. Dwhine Wade? That’s the best you can come up with? I guess things do get a little foggy when you’re 47 and living in your grandmother’s basement.

• savvybynature - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I’ve actually been afraid of this since the game 1 loss…. he has too much of a history to ignore.

6. cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:28 AM

Hey 72!! No Pearl Jam jingle? Maybe something from “In Hiding” would be fitting today for you & your fellow bandwagoners.

7. rickyspanish - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:44 AM

cantonbound13

One thing we agree on my friend, are those lame song quotes by 72. Other than that, 72 is aces.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:15 AM

I like 72 & respect how he faces the music after a loss, unlike his fellow bandwagoners. However, it is priceless to see him humbled after a loss & realize all that greatness talk is just nonsense.

• gmsingh123 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:30 AM

Can we at least agree that the Heat is a team that was built to take second place in championships?

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:31 AM

Put the quote on a different article. The appropriate song of the day is…..

Nothing’s as it Seems

(I quoted In Hiding after Game 2. Great Great tune)

• captainwisdom8888 - Jun 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM

after the spurs beat the heat, theyll be making their “last exit.” Then theyll reminisce about “all those yesterdays.” Then realizing after winning 3 titles they have reached basketball “immortality.” One thing the heat should “get right” is to “release” wade after this year. Hes kinda a bum.

yea total overkill but that was fun

on a real note ive been all about the song “leavin here” lately

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:37 PM

well done my friend

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:39 AM

Thanks man. But we all have to get through this with our mental health still intact somehow. The PJ song quotes are what does it for me. Going to have to go DEEP into the vault today.

Good news is that should the Heat pull this series out somehow, not even the most ardent of haters can possibly say it wasn’t earned.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

Barring a David Stern/Scott Foster scandal, this year’s championship will be earned. You can’t deny the 2006 Donoghey factor & the lockout factor of 2012.

• 1972wasalongtimeago - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Donoghy didn’t ref a single finals game in 2006 so I can disregard that. And I’d argue last years schedule made the championship even tougher.

• heat256 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:01 AM

You’ll always have idiots like Canton who will come up with some excuse as to why a Heat title isn’t “legit”. Fools like him make me laugh. Must really chap his behind that NY is supposedly some mecca of basketball yet Stern/the Boogeyman/Aliens or whatever lame conspiracy theory he trots out doesn’t even use some of that voodoo on the Knicks, who haven’t won in over 40 years and couldn’t win in the lockout year they went to the Finals. What a joke!

• gmsingh123 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Can you at least explain why the Heat play so badly against really well coached teams?

• savvybynature - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Phil Jackson started the whole lock-out season titles deserve an asterisk talk. So I guess Phil is just an idiot and a fool?

8. davidly - Jun 12, 2013 at 6:48 AM

This could go either way. Remember the 80’s Celts/Lakers exchanging blowouts in their finals matchups? That’s part of where the whole “adjustments” conversation comes from. Nobody really paid much attention before the Magic/Bird saga.

I reckon that Popovic won this game, but I wouldn’t say that Spoelstra won the last one to the same degree; I’d credit that mostly to his dominating athletic roster, which the San Antonio coach countered in this game. So that’s what the seven-game series offers, story-wise: who responded to what and when. (I mean, remove Green or Neal from the game and the Spurs still won it).

A format I think I’d like to see in the NBA playoffs is a “first team to two wins” with the home court alternating for each game, however, so that the homecourt advantage is having game one at home. The seven game narrative is interesting, but I’d prefer to see the impetus for success placed upon the entire team, thereby magnifying the need to respond more immediately as the games play out.

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:44 AM

C’mon man give Spo some type of credit dude..

When we lose all the blame goes on him

When we win all the praise goes to Lebron

• davidly - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM

“Some type of credit” is exactly what I did give Spoelstra. I just weight his benefiting from talent-ridden roster more proportionally.

And as far as all the blame going on him, I don’t see it that way. Most of the blame I have read has been on Bosh, Wade, or LBJ, depending on the game. I would personally credit or blame Pat Riley, win or lose.

My point, though, has more to do with the Spurs being a better collective, from ownership on down to the last guy on the bench. So, on the one hand, Popovic has more to work with. And while it would seem that Spoelstra has a lot to work with, his options are nevertheless more restricted.

In other words, Miami’s coach doesn’t really have a team to excel from a coaching standpoint. Which is why if the Heat don’t win, I wouldn’t blame him.

• pl4tinum514 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

Hell no… when Heat lose all the blame is on the big 3 turds.

9. thememyselfandiguy - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM

lets face it, the heat are playing with everybody. nobody would watch the finals or speak about them when they just cruise to the trophy. they sell drama. and abc and the nba are pretty happy about it. watch how they will win the series. they did the same last year and this year with the pacers. yeah right, the mighty pacers.

• brookwell2013 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:44 AM

Hey memyself, you may be correct but this series is a bit different with the Spurs. The Spurs have guys that have many rings and they have a HOF coach….the Pacers were warriors but they didn’t have either. I think the Heat may very well be in trouble here. Wade seems only at 60% most of the time and holy moly Bosh has just disappeared….what the heck is up with him????

• spursareold - Jun 12, 2013 at 5:58 PM

The Pacer’s offense was #17 in advanced efficiency stats. The Spurs are ranked #7. I hope Miami is counting on that analogy as well. Charles and company will be crafting their “gone fishing” pictures.

10. cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Maybe it was Joey Crawfod’s fault the Heat lost? It’s never because the other team is better.

• heat256 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:04 AM

HAHAHAHA. You and your life partner Mr Wright couldn’t stop blaming the refs when your precious Knicks get bounced out of the playoffs (yet again). Hypocrites like you are why the internet is so fun.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I never once blamed the refs. I said the Pacers were the better team and deserved to win. I guess reading is not your strong point.

11. cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 8:15 AM

Where’s Leaha, or MiamiMatt? Oh right, they lost. Cowards!

• miamatt - Jun 12, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Yeah, everybody knows the TRUE measure of the courage of a man is how fast he rushes out to post on an internet chat board.

You are a complete @$$ clown.

• cantonbound13 - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM

so the true measure of the courage of a man is to talk trash after a victory but disappear after a loss? Coward!

12. heat256 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Having to slap Cantongirl around is fun, but the game does need to be commented on. The Heat were absolutely terrible. The Spurs out hustled, outmuscled and outgunned them. To a man they all need to look at themselves and question their effort. Otherthan maybe Mike Miller, no one really seemed to lay it out last night. Fatigue is no excuse. There are none. If they want to go back to Miami, they better start hitting their shots, playing better D, and getting LeBron going. Or else they get to watch the Spurs celebrate Sunday night. It’s up not to just the players, but the caoches as well to watch every minute of that massacre and find ways to get back to their identity.

13. reedme16 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM

As a Heat fan I’m not that mad about the loss or the effort. I actually thought for most of the game the Heat played hard, Spurs were just hitting big shot after big shot.

I’m concerned with the fact the team started to look more and more discouraged after every Gary Neal shot. By the middle of the 3rd they were completely out of their offense, looked rattled, and timid. Lebron wouldn’t even shoot the ball!

This is starting to feel like the Mavericks series all over again. That said I honestly don’t believe the Spurs can continue to shoot like they are shooting. I still think the Heat will win, but we have to have better rotations.

• pl4tinum514 - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:28 AM

It’s not like the Spurs have to shoot like this for much longer. Just 2 more games, boys. :)

• savvybynature - Jun 12, 2013 at 11:16 AM

This was the first Finals game that the Spur shot over 42 percent, so if “shooting like they are” means two subpar shooting games for every good one then they absolutely can continue to do that, or better.

14. yuwannano - Jun 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM

“They were who we thought they were…”

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches