Jun 12, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
It’s an annual occurrence, like the swallows returning to Capistrano, or the Grammy going to some banal performer.
Big men move up NBA draft boards.
This year Alex Len out of Maryland is the biggest beneficiary of this, with Steven Adams of Pittsburgh climbing the ladder, too.
DraftExpress has Len going No. 4 to the Bobcats, Adams No. 10 to the Portland Trail Blazers. Over at NBA.com, Scott Howard-Cooper talks about how those two are moving up fast.
Len is the best true center in this draft — plenty of teams looked at three of the final four teams in the NBA and noticed they had a true center in the lineup and they are looking for a good one (the Heat being the exception, but they have the LeBron trump card). Len is 7’1” and can add strength to his frame. This guy has all the physical tools you want in a center — moves well, soft hands, good touch around the rim, can pass, blocks shots, ad he rebounds. He’s a bit raw offensively, but he’s got a lot of potential because all the tools are there. The questions are how tough he can be and why was his energy was inconsistent?
Also, Len had surgery on a stress fracture in his ankle. He should be fine in the long run he hasn’t done any workouts and will not be playing in Summer League.
Adams is also raw, but there aren’t a lot of finished products in this draft. Adams is a legit 7’0” at 255 pounds is still very mobile. He was in the first round already but started climbing boards after the NBA Draft Combine when he showed more skill than expected. He’s a bit of a project, especially on offense, but he has a nice high ceiling and he can give you some defense and rebounding right away. And teams will take a big who can give them some defense and rebounding now and then some offense down the line.’
Don’t be shocked if a team trades up to get Len, or he goes a little higher than No. 4 — he is really growing on teams right now. Both of these guys are climbing.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18