Jun 11, 2013, 5:35 PM EST
We told you the other day the Hawks and Rockets had been fined by the NBA for tampering — teams cannot officially talk free agents they might have interest in until July 1 when those players are actually free agents. You may want to talk to Dwight Howard and Chris Paul, but you can’t officially say anything about them as they are still technically under contract.
There was an unknown at the time third team fined as well.
That turned out to be the Sacramento Kings, as reported by Sam Amick at the USA Today.
The Kings’ infraction is also related to Paul, as new coach Michael Malone said in his introductory press conference that the Clippers point guard would “look pretty good in a Sacramento Kings uniform.” Malone coached Paul while with the New Orleans Hornets (now the Pelicans).
The infractions may have been innocent — the Hawks sent a letter to season ticket holders about all the cap space they had and said “ Player interest is skyrocketing as the possibilities of landing Chris Paul & Dwight Howard become more and more of a reality” — but the league doesn’t play around with this stuff.
While there will be plenty of leaks and reports before then, team officials can’t actually say anything. Every year some teams have to be reminded of this the hard way.
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 4
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 10
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 5
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 8
- Shane Battier on Carmelo Anthony: ‘Last two years I guarded him, he did exactly what the scouting report said he would’ 15
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 18