Jun 11, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
A league source told CSNNE.com on Monday that Rivers’ decision on whether he will return will not be based solely on whether Paul Pierce and/or Kevin Garnett are back in next season. Rivers’ hesitation to verbally commit to next season has more to do with his uncertainty as to what type of team Danny Ainge, Boston’s president of basketball operations, will give him to coach.
“No coach wants to go through a full-blown rebuilding process,” said the source. “Doc’s already done that, so he knows how tough that is for all involved. But to be asked to go through it twice? Any coach would pause for a minute before signing on to that.”
Remember how Boston struggled in 2006 and 2007, to the point plenty of Celtics fans were calling for Rivers’ head. But you can’t win in the NBA without talent no matter how good a coach you are and once Rivers got talent the Celtics were a real threat.
The question for Boston is whether to start the rebuilding this summer or next. The temptation may be to say the sooner the better, but with a weak free agent class and draft, are you really going to get much of a jump starting now? Or are you better off bringing everyone back and being a very dangerous and interesting six seed next season, then rebuilding.
I’d lean toward the latter. But it’s not my call. It’s all up to Danny Ainge.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 14
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 7
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 33
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 16
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 21
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (34)