Jun 11, 2013, 2:39 PM EST
Patrick Ewing has been waiting a long time for a shot at a head coaching job, but it hasn’t happened yet.
So now he has decided to take the lead assistant job with the Charlotte Bobcats under just hired Steve Clifford, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Hall of Fame center Patrick Ewing has reached agreement to become the associate head coach for the Charlotte Bobcats, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
After eight years as an NBA assistant, Ewing sat out last season from the NBA but wanted back in now. Both the Bobcats and the Kings under new coach Mike Malone tried to hire him.
Ewing now works for long-time rival Michael Jordan. Although, as Woj points out, those two did team up in Space Jam. So they have that bond.
- Rumor: Ray Allen leaning toward retirement, not return 3
- Josh Smith makes Rockets debut, throws down two-handed dunk (VIDEO) 10
- Carmelo Anthony on the Knicks: “The fans are dying, we’re dying” 18
- Rockets officially sign Josh Smith, who will play Friday night; waive Tarik Black 6
- Clippers win ‘nice, boring’ Christmas Day battle with Warriors 1
- Miami fans give LeBron warm welcome, Heat team not so much in upset win 24
- Russell Westbrook inspires Thunder to skid-stopping win over Spurs 8
- LeBron James, Stephen Curry leading in early All-Star voting returns 30