Jun 11, 2013, 11:10 AM EDT
Sounds like Brian Shaw’s interview with the Clippers Monday went well. That makes some sense — he’s ready to be a head coach, and for a franchise always looking to steal some Lakers thunder taking the coach the players and fans wanted to replace Phil Jackson is a nice jab at the guys down the hall.
But the process is far from over and as always there is the unpredictable Donald Sterling element with the Clippers search. The Clippers also will meet with Byron Scott (Tuesday), Lionel Hollins (Wednesday) and Nate McMillan (Thursday).
Broderick Turner of the Los Angeles Times brings us up to date on the happenings with the Clippers coaching search.
“I think it went great,” one of the executives said about the (Shaw) meeting. Shaw then was scheduled to have dinner with Clippers owner Donald on Monday night….
The executives said the plan is for all the candidates to visit the Clippers’ offices and then meet with Sterling.
As we mentioned before, the management of the Clippers puts together a list of candidates, interviews them and makes its recommendation, but Sterling makes the final call based on his meetings with the candidates. Last time around the management recommended Dwane Casey, Sterling went with Vinny Del Negro.
Sterling reportedly likes Scott, who coached Chris Paul in New Orleans (that may actually hurt Scott’s cause as CP3 is sensitive to the idea he has any control over the process). Sterling flew to a Memphis playoff game to see Holins work in person.
Read into all that whatever you want. This is not an easily predictable situation.
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 4
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 23
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 56
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 11