Rajon Rondo admits he’s not easy to coach

Jun 11, 2013, 1:43 AM EDT

Boston Celtics head coach Doc Rivers gestures to Rajon Rondo in the second quarter as the Celtics play the Miami Heat during Game 5 of their Eastern Conference Finals NBA basketball playoffs in Miami, Florida Reuters

Rajon Rondo is really good at Connect 4. Seriously. He showed that skill off in an interview put together by Red Bull.

He also knows that he is not the easiest guy in the world to coach. When asked if he was hard to coach when he came into the league he owned up to it and more (you can see the interview here).

“I still am. It’s not that I’m hard to coach, it’s just that I may challenge what you say. I know the game myself, I’m out there playing the game. So I may have saw something different versus what you saw from the sideline. I’m going to be respectable. I’m going to let the coach talk.”

Well, we all know coaches love to be challenged… Rondo has had his run ins with Doc Rivers over the years, but now they seem to be on the same page most of the time.

Mike Krzyzewski and other coaches have said that the biggest difference between much of the current generation of athletes and older ones is that today’s guys want to know why? If you’re running a drill or installing some wrinkle in the offense, they want to see the reason, they want the big picture. Explain the context and they will still run through a wall for you, now they just will not do it without reason. I think that’s a good thing. The era of “do it because I said so” should be gone the way of old Rutgers basketball coaches. If you can’t explain why you want guys to do something you need to think about why your are asking it to be done. Because I said so isn’t good enough anymore.

1. spideysdog - Jun 11, 2013 at 4:22 AM

you don’t have kids do you Kurt? the “I ain’t doing it unless you tell me why” attitude is why this young generation will have so many problems. it’s a sense of entitlement. with it comes less of a sense of respect.

the age of respect, should NOT go by the wayside.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 12, 2013 at 3:34 AM

I have three daughters. And I try to explain to them why we ask them to do things.

• Kansachusetts - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Exactly. “Because I say so” was never a good way to teach anyone.

2. patfic15 - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Speaks to the larger problem surrounding Americas youth today. They are taught to challenge authority on all levels as if its some balanced playing field. Just because you’re capable of great things doesn’t take away from the fact that you need great examples to get you there. No offense, Rondo, but grow up. And your jump shot blows btw….

• fanofthegame79 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I’ll preface this post by saying I’m not a fan of Rondo and I do not like his attitude on the court and in the locker room (from what I’ve heard) – however, I have no problem with “America’s youth” challenging authority. Too often people of “authority” use their power for no good reason. It’s all about accountability – I worked for an organization that had a policy of 360 degree coaching, meaning you could (and were supposed to) coach your manager and other superiors if there was opportunity. With basketball players having a high basketball IQ, I see nothing wrong with wanting to know the big picture of a play.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Rondo was a kid when he got to Boston, now he is their best player
      and probably taking over a leader on that team.
      I guess maybe he will mature as the years go on but this guy is the
      best thing in Boston and Doc and Ainge know this, why do you think they
      turn down so many trade offers.
      I think Rondo has to be careful of how he answers certain media question
      and has to be a good leader and be mature.

• dangernearing - Jun 11, 2013 at 9:56 PM

Speaks to the larger problem surrounding Americas youth today. >>> Pure BS. USA’s screwed up now because that’s all we did was accept what was being told to you. Previous generations failed us, IMHO.

3. andyhr17 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:32 AM

apparently you’re stuck in the past because Rondo’s jumper has greatly improved. You know that players do get better, right? but go ahead and keep judging him on his jumper from years ago.

• patfic15 - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:55 PM

What games have you been watching apart from the 40pt phantom game he enjoyed in the playoffs?

4. hehateme2 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Now he’s just a “know it all blowhard.” We get it. This guy is no leader.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches