Jun 11, 2013, 1:46 PM EDT
Could Nerlens Noel slip all the way down to the No. 3 spot in this draft?
Not likely. But with an unpredictable draft the Wizard are going to do their due diligence and meet with the injured Kentucky big man this weekend, reports Michael Lee at the Washington Post.
The Wizards have the third selection in the June 27 draft but are expected to be the second team to host Noel, who already met with the Orlando Magic on June 2 and will visit the Cleveland Cavaliers on June 20.
But several scouts and executive have speculated that Noel could also slide. During the NBA combine in Chicago last month, Noel weighed in at 206 pounds and he is also recovering from a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, raising concerns about his durability and strength inside.
The weight thing is not that big a deal, he has the frame to put on muscle and Kentucky Coach John Calipari said he played at closer to 225 this past season. The ACL injury means he will miss at least the start and potentially all of next season, depending on the recovery.
It may be three years before a team really gets much out of Noel, but that’s what you should b drafting for — who a player will be in three years. In a draft where there are no lock No. 1, franchise changing guys Noel makes the most sense as the top pick because of his potential.
But if the Cavaliers and Magic are not willing to be patient, or trade out of the top two picks, maybe he falls to the Wizards. Not likely, but meeting with him makes sense.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 36
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85