Jun 11, 2013, 10:08 AM EDT
While a few owners are adamantly for it, the idea of ads on an NBA uniform — even smaller ones — has not been able to gain traction with a majority of them (it’s not happening next season, at least).
But don’t think that means owners aren’t looking for more ways to get advertising in your face.
League officials have approved teams selling on-court advertising for the high-profile space in front of team benches as well as the camera-visible areas on top of the backboards.
A league source said no specific valuation has been assigned to the new sales areas, but multiyear, multimillion-dollar deals are expected, with teams signing package deals that would provide an advertiser with visibility in both places. One team executive said the deals could range anywhere from mid-six figures to around $2 million annually, acknowledging that the value of the signage will vary widely by market.
These were areas you usually saw the team logo (the top of the backboard often had the team’s Web address). You can also see the added NBA Finals logo during Game 3 Tuesday night in San Antonio.
There is a one-year review on this — teams can sign multi-year deals but the entire process will be reviewed after next season, SBJ reports.
You can expect this in virtually ever arena next years — owners are looking for new ways to squeeze out more revenue from sponsors.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 25
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 31
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42