Jun 11, 2013, 10:08 AM EST
While a few owners are adamantly for it, the idea of ads on an NBA uniform — even smaller ones — has not been able to gain traction with a majority of them (it’s not happening next season, at least).
But don’t think that means owners aren’t looking for more ways to get advertising in your face.
League officials have approved teams selling on-court advertising for the high-profile space in front of team benches as well as the camera-visible areas on top of the backboards.
A league source said no specific valuation has been assigned to the new sales areas, but multiyear, multimillion-dollar deals are expected, with teams signing package deals that would provide an advertiser with visibility in both places. One team executive said the deals could range anywhere from mid-six figures to around $2 million annually, acknowledging that the value of the signage will vary widely by market.
These were areas you usually saw the team logo (the top of the backboard often had the team’s Web address). You can also see the added NBA Finals logo during Game 3 Tuesday night in San Antonio.
There is a one-year review on this — teams can sign multi-year deals but the entire process will be reviewed after next season, SBJ reports.
You can expect this in virtually ever arena next years — owners are looking for new ways to squeeze out more revenue from sponsors.
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 2
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 11
- Joe Johnson says players noticed friction between Jason Kidd and Lawrence Frank 23
- ‘Melo says Knicks players “worried” Woodson could lose job if losing continues 12
- The Extra Pass: Chemistry clicking in Denver as Nuggets beat Nets to win seventh straight, and Tuesday’s recaps 2
- Kobe Bryant takes to Twitter to defend his contract extension (100)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (53)
- John Wall: ‘I’m the best point guard in the league’ (45)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (39)