Jun 10, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT
Fresh off winning an award for being the NBA’s best teammate, Chauncey Billups said publically Blake Griffin needs more toughness.
Billups, via ESPN:
“I don’t agree that Blake Griffin is soft. But what I will say about Blake is that he’s maybe too nice of a guy,” Billups said. “Because there’s been times in games where people take shots at Blake. And I tell him if that’s me, you’re going to have to take this two- or three-game suspension, and I’m going to punish somebody.
“That’s just how I’m built. Blake is not really built like that. He’s … too soft of a guy inside for him to be like, ‘All right, I’m just going to hurt somebody.’ He just won’t do it. I wish he would, and I think that people would look at him a lot different if he did that. But he’s just not that kind of person.”
I – like everyone else, which is why he won the award – love Billups, but I can’t stand most “back in my day” stories. Let’s review Billups’ discipline issues:
December 2012: Warned for flopping
November 2002: Suspended one game for throwing the ball at a referee
November 1996: Suspended three games for making long-distance phone calls
I don’t think a player whose longest suspension is for making long-distance phones can credibly tell Griffin, “If that’s me, you’re going to have to take this two- or three-game suspension, and I’m going to punish somebody.” Billups has just never been that guy, and he shouldn’t put down Griffin to pretend to be now.
And that’s not a knock to Billups, who is very tough. It’s a credit to him for finding ways to prove his toughness without taking dirty shots at opponents. That’s what Griffin should do, as well.
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 2
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 5
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7
- PBT Extra: No Rajon Rondo, no Chandler Parsons, Dallas is in trouble vs. Houston 6