Teammate of the Year Chauncey Billups says teammate Blake Griffin needs more toughness

Jun 10, 2013, 9:01 PM EDT

Fresh off winning an award for being the NBA’s best teammate, Chauncey Billups said publically Blake Griffin needs more toughness.

Billups, via ESPN:

“I don’t agree that Blake Griffin is soft. But what I will say about Blake is that he’s maybe too nice of a guy,” Billups said. “Because there’s been times in games where people take shots at Blake. And I tell him if that’s me, you’re going to have to take this two- or three-game suspension, and I’m going to punish somebody.

“That’s just how I’m built. Blake is not really built like that. He’s … too soft of a guy inside for him to be like, ‘All right, I’m just going to hurt somebody.’ He just won’t do it. I wish he would, and I think that people would look at him a lot different if he did that. But he’s just not that kind of person.”

I – like everyone else, which is why he won the award – love Billups, but I can’t stand most “back in my day” stories. Let’s review Billups’ discipline issues:

December 2012: Warned for flopping

November 2004: Suspended one game for leaving the bench in the Malice at The Palace

November 2002: Suspended one game for throwing the ball at a referee

November 1996: Suspended three games for making long-distance phone calls

I don’t think a player whose longest suspension is for making long-distance phones can credibly tell Griffin, “If that’s me, you’re going to have to take this two- or three-game suspension, and I’m going to punish somebody.” Billups has just never been that guy, and he shouldn’t put down Griffin to pretend to be now.

And that’s not a knock to Billups, who is very tough. It’s a credit to him for finding ways to prove his toughness without taking dirty shots at opponents. That’s what Griffin should do, as well.

1. thestewman3 - Jun 10, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Like most trolls (some NBA analyst) on these boards, Billups is a revisionist pining for the “good old days” which never were.

• WatchThis - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:49 AM

Except for his ring with the Pistons.

• spthegr8 - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:08 AM

I don’t know Chauncey. Have you ever seen Blake dunk on somebody & use that off hand, like a battering ram ?? That’s is pretty tough ( sarcasim ) Chauncey is right. Blake is softer then some Frutiy Pebbles left in milk overnight!! He is built like Tarzan but plays like Jane!!

2. elbaker1 - Jun 10, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Nothing says BA like unauthorized long distance phone calls. My mom used to get mad at me for those too.

3. musilly - Jun 10, 2013 at 10:21 PM

You’re either deliberately twisting Billup’s words or a poor reader. Neither speaks well of you.

Billups said that *if* he received the types of hits that Blake has received (which, to my knowledge, he never has), then he would retaliate in a way that would necessarily involve a suspension. He didn’t say that he actually received the sort of hits that would motivate him to retaliate in such a way.

Of course, read Billups correctly and you can’t sneak in the “back in my day” joke (haha?), but at least it’s more honest.

4. scorp16 - Jun 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

“November 1996: Suspended three games for making long-distance phone calls”

That’s just insane……17 years ago……Not everyone had access to cell phones…….Chauncey Billups been around since before cell phones…WOW

5. money2long - Jun 10, 2013 at 10:33 PM

this is similar to how real friends tell you the real .

6. wammygiveaway - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Griffin is just afraid of the repercussions that come with being a bad guy. He has an image of a laid back, funny guy that appeals well with the family audience via Kia and Subway commercials. If he goes out on the court and tries a dirty play that could warrant a suspension, his image will be destroyed, and he’ll never have the end of it. Sound familiar? Look at Chris Paul: he does not want to be looked at as a coach killer, but Sterling threw him under the bus anyway following a curve ball question asked by TJ Simers.

Griffin needs to learn to stand up for himself in the right way a la Tim Duncan – improve his all-around game, take the physicality – and not let his goody-two shoe image get in the way. Not to be taken the wrong way, but nice guys lose games; bad boys win titles.

7. louhudson23 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:27 AM

Developing his game to include offensive and defensive rebounding,a true post up game and a mid range jumper would help more than anything….and all Chauncey said is “IF” he were subjected to what Griffin was,then……so all the crap about the “back in the day” comments are bogus and misguided…as usual….

8. anhdazman - Jun 11, 2013 at 1:14 AM

He’s basically saying Griffin is soft because he’s the biggest flopping PF in the game.

9. darok21 - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:27 AM

The suspension for making long distance calls were from his college days not as a PRO for the author to include that information has nothing to do with the story especially when Billups is talking about the physical play in the NBA….

10. mat9844 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:17 PM

One has only to look at Blake’s record to determine just how effective he is. Mental toughness and playing smart have worked very well for him.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches