Jun 10, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
MIAMI — It was the defining moment of Game 2, even though by this point the game was pretty well in hand for the Heat. LeBron James went up and shut down Tiago Splitter at the rim, a lot of the players were buzzing about it after the game.
LeBron James: “Just wanted to, I guess, make an impact some way. Offensively it was a struggle for me; couldn’t make a shot, missed lay ups. Some things I’m accustomed to making. So I just wanted to make some plays and try to help our team. And I was able to protect the rim on that one.
“Basically I told myself, you’ll end up on Sports Center where you’re going to get dunked on or you’re going to get a block. Luckily I was on the good side of the Top Ten and the Not So Top Ten.”
Mario Chalmers: “He blocked it. I mean, we seen that coming. I know I kind of figured he was going to block that one, just the angle he had. That’s why he’s First Team All Defense. It was a great defensive play.”
Heat coach Erik Spoelstra: “What you like from a competitive standpoint is a lot of players wouldn’t go for that. The risk/reward, and they weigh that right away and the possibility of getting dunked on and being on a highlight film. He’s been on that highlight film both ways. It takes great courage to go up and make one of those plays.
“Obviously you have to have that ability. He and Dwyane always make those plays, knowing there’s a big chance they’ll get dunked on. “
- Wesley Matthew’s injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 8
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 3
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14