Jun 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Pistons made Maurice Cheeks their top choice, and unsurprisingly, the coach with no other reported head-coaching options accepted the job.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
ESPN sources: Mo Cheeks has today agreed to take Detroit Pistons' job. Story posting online at ESPN as we speak—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 10, 2013
Cheeks’ Portland teams gradually went downhill before the Trail Blazers fired him. In Philadelphia, Cheeks was relatively up and down, but he didn’t have a single winning season, and then the 76ers fired him.
Cheeks earned rave reviews as a Thunder assistant the last few years, so maybe he’s learned enough that he won’t repeat his shortcomings in Detroit. Then again, maybe he’s just better suited to be an assistant.
If it’s the latter, this could be Joe Dumars’ last coaching hire as the Pistons’ general manager.
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 0
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 20
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89