Jun 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Pistons made Maurice Cheeks their top choice, and unsurprisingly, the coach with no other reported head-coaching options accepted the job.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Cheeks’ Portland teams gradually went downhill before the Trail Blazers fired him. In Philadelphia, Cheeks was relatively up and down, but he didn’t have a single winning season, and then the 76ers fired him.
Cheeks earned rave reviews as a Thunder assistant the last few years, so maybe he’s learned enough that he won’t repeat his shortcomings in Detroit. Then again, maybe he’s just better suited to be an assistant.
If it’s the latter, this could be Joe Dumars’ last coaching hire as the Pistons’ general manager.
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 0
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 18
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 16
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 8
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 16
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 38
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 48