Jun 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Pistons made Maurice Cheeks their top choice, and unsurprisingly, the coach with no other reported head-coaching options accepted the job.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Cheeks’ Portland teams gradually went downhill before the Trail Blazers fired him. In Philadelphia, Cheeks was relatively up and down, but he didn’t have a single winning season, and then the 76ers fired him.
Cheeks earned rave reviews as a Thunder assistant the last few years, so maybe he’s learned enough that he won’t repeat his shortcomings in Detroit. Then again, maybe he’s just better suited to be an assistant.
If it’s the latter, this could be Joe Dumars’ last coaching hire as the Pistons’ general manager.
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 0
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 0
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 2
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 20
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 10
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6