Jun 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
The Pistons made Maurice Cheeks their top choice, and unsurprisingly, the coach with no other reported head-coaching options accepted the job.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
ESPN sources: Mo Cheeks has today agreed to take Detroit Pistons' job. Story posting online at ESPN as we speak—
Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) June 10, 2013
Cheeks’ Portland teams gradually went downhill before the Trail Blazers fired him. In Philadelphia, Cheeks was relatively up and down, but he didn’t have a single winning season, and then the 76ers fired him.
Cheeks earned rave reviews as a Thunder assistant the last few years, so maybe he’s learned enough that he won’t repeat his shortcomings in Detroit. Then again, maybe he’s just better suited to be an assistant.
If it’s the latter, this could be Joe Dumars’ last coaching hire as the Pistons’ general manager.
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 21
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 19
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 13
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 52
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 60
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 89
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20