Jun 10, 2013, 6:21 PM EST
The Pistons made Maurice Cheeks their top choice, and unsurprisingly, the coach with no other reported head-coaching options accepted the job.
Marc Stein of ESPN:
Cheeks’ Portland teams gradually went downhill before the Trail Blazers fired him. In Philadelphia, Cheeks was relatively up and down, but he didn’t have a single winning season, and then the 76ers fired him.
Cheeks earned rave reviews as a Thunder assistant the last few years, so maybe he’s learned enough that he won’t repeat his shortcomings in Detroit. Then again, maybe he’s just better suited to be an assistant.
If it’s the latter, this could be Joe Dumars’ last coaching hire as the Pistons’ general manager.
- Five things to watch as NBA takes over Christmas Day 13
- Cavaliers center Anderson Varejao tears Achilles, done for season 29
- Miami Heat fans were hurt when LeBron left, they may let him hear it. Somewhat. 21
- Nikola Vucevic and Tobias Harris coming into their own for Magic 6
- PBT Tuesday Night Winners/Losers: Sixers, Lakers show the last will be first (for a night) 13
- Anderson Varejao leaves Cavaliers game with foot injury not to return, MRI Wednesday 5
- Report: Rockets ‘very confident’ they’ll land Josh Smith 19
- Report: Sixers want Andrei Kirilenko to report to team, prepare to play 16