Kobe reaches settlement with parents, 90% of items out of auction

Jun 10, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT

Kobe Bryant AP

Kobe Bryant is not going to trial with his parents. That’s a good thing.

Kobe had sued to stop his parents from auctioning off a bunch of his memorabilia they had at his house, which more than anything speaks to the state of their relationship.

Now a settlement has been reached — six items, just 10 percent of the items originally listed, will be auctioned off. The auction is still being done by Goldin Auctions, which thinks it can net upwards of $500,000, according to the report.

In addition, Kobe’s parents had to make a public apology and did so in a statement.

“We regret our actions and statements related to the Kobe Bryant auction memorabilia. We apologize for any misunderstanding and unintended pain we have caused our son and appreciate the financial support he has provided over the years. We also apologize to Goldin Auctions for their inadvertent involvement in this matter and thank them for their assistance.”

It was really Golden’s lawyers vs. Kobe in this and the question was ownership. Kobe’s parents were trying to auction off items still in their possession from Kobe’s younger playing days. The items still being auctioned are some of the most coveted of the offerings — two of Kobe’s Lower Merion High School uniforms, plus to replica NBA championship rings from the Lakers’ 2000 championship that Kobe had made for his parents.

Goldin had given the Bryants $450,000 up front, which they used to buy a home in the Las Vegas area.

1. titansbro - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Wow his parents suck. Yet they raised such a humble, down to earth young man. Odd.

• LPad - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:18 AM

true.

but in fairness to his parents, this happens all the time but on a lower scale. kid moves out leaves half his stuff in his parents house. kid gets mad years later, when he or she finds out their bedroom is now a hot tub and their stuff was sold at a garage sale years ago/thrown out.

• sportsfan18 - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM

What I don’t get is that since Kobe has earned well over $200 million dollars and I’m sure he’s lived in places that were on the larger side, had some extra closet space etc… Why didn’t he go get his stuff if he really wanted it?

It isn’t like he didn’t have the space for it in his mansion. If he didn’t get along with his parents years ago, when you have as much money as he does, you hire some movers to go over there and box up your stuff and have it shipped to you. I mean he spent multi millions on the diamond ring for his wife many years ago.

So with his money, he didn’t have to go and see his parents. If he wanted the stuff, something tells me that Kobe gets what he wants in life.

So, since Kobe hadn’t ever gotten around to getting something he wanted or having it boxed up and shipped to him, tells me he really didn’t want it that badly… this was more of a power play against his parents.

I mean Kobe is 34 yrs old and that means a few years have gone by since his high school days yet he never saw fit to either get those things himself or have them sent to him…

Something tells me had his parents not gotten the idea to auction them off, they would still be somewhere with them in their house.

This doesn’t add up.

• omahakidw - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Kobe sucks period, the man makes upwards to 30 million dollars, and could have bought the stuff from his parents if it was so valuable to him which it wasn’t that`s why it was at his parents house. This is the same guy who told a lie and went to Colorado, and had some woman other than his wife, and obviously was doing something with her that wasn’t proper. I should care what he thinks? He`s a clown period. He`s a Basketball player period, should have went to school.

• wlubake - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Should have went to school indeed…

• sgd84er - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Excuse me but the correct way of saying your last sentence is “He should have GONE to school.”

Thank you Mr. Uber-Educated

• samouelb - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:31 PM

it is “…should have gone to school.”

• deadunicorn - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Dont forget …respectful of women

• trevor123698 - Jul 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

I hope to god this is some kind of joke. if not you are scum of the lowest form of scum

2. whitdog23 - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM

‘to’ replica???

• joannabowles - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Kobe gave his Parents a replica of his Champion Ring.

3. fanofevilempire - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM

yeah, because if he went to school this entire fiasco would not have happened.
    I’m just glad this all came to a end before fathers day.

4. money2long - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:23 PM

if he made the rings FOR his parents, they should have the right to sell them , right ? the jersey’s though, those are memories for kobe. i wonder how badly he wanted to keep those.

• money2long - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

my high school wouldn’t let me keep my jerseys. anyone who played for their school team, how easy was it for you to keep your jersey after you left the school ?

• justaregulardoode - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yeah they don’t usually let you keep your jersey they recycle it for next year.

• Kim B. (DeliciousMinutiae) - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Maybe the reason his parents are allowed to auction the jerseys goes back to ownership. If he kept the jerseys, the parents had to pay the school for them. He didn’t earn them, they weren’t an award. So unless the school gifted them to Kobe and retired his number…the parents paid for and own the jerseys. Same with the rings…they were gifts made for his parents, so they can do what they want with them.

I wonder what the other items are that the parents got to proceed with to auction. The article said they were early items, so the parents likely have some money into them vs. the young and unemployed Kobe.

• money2long - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:59 PM

kobe somehow got his. superstar leeway

• patygoat24 - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:08 PM

because he is Kobe Bryant. Your just an average Joe.

• 00maltliquor - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Usually they make you give it back to be used next year by someone, but they prolly retired his number so no one else could’ve worn it anyways me thinks.

• asimonetti88 - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Some schools allow you to buy your jersey at the end of the season. My school didn’t do this but I heard about it at other schools in our area. It’s not a bad idea- you get to keep your jersey, and they can afford to put a new one into the rotation.

• romoscollarbone - Jun 10, 2013 at 6:02 PM

IDK about bball jerseys but at my HS, you got to keep your football helmet, if you made the State’s all- star game, which in NJ is the Snapple Bowl.

5. samouelb - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:27 PM

If that stuff was so valuable to him, then why didn’t he take it with him when he moved out years ago?
    Obviously he hasn’t “taken care of” his parents for their years of sacrifice…
    There are probably skeletons hidden in those boxes of “memorabilia,” such as panties, bras, pictures and homemade movies.

6. redbullenergydrink - Jun 10, 2013 at 12:59 PM

One word to describe his parents: scandalous

7. azarkhan - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:43 PM

One word to describe Kobe’s non-relationship with his parents: scandalous.

8. thetruecritic - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I think kobe expected that if his parents needed money they could ask him instead of selling his items for cash like a crack addict in need of a fix. It’s a shame that they would want to sell memories of their child. Our world has become materialistic and it’s sad.

9. totallyuselessme - Jun 10, 2013 at 2:50 PM

What horrible people.

Guess we know why Kobe’s the way he is, though. I’d rather focus on basketball than deal with such selfish people back at home.

10. 00maltliquor - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Wow. The way that headline reads is just so, so wrong.

Everything about this is sad. A forced public apology? They should have just done it from the heart. Crazy, this world.

11. xmatt0926x - Jun 10, 2013 at 3:01 PM

It’s astonishing the amount of people who are actually defending his parents in this case. Nobody hates Kobe Bryant more than me. He’s a total phony and from all reports just kind of sounds like a real d*ck in his personal life. That being said, his parents are absolutely disgraceful for trying to sell his memorabilia so they can buy a house. I keep hearing the same nonsense. “Why didn’t he pick the stuff up if he wanted it?” Ok, great. So because he is the typical lazy person who won’t pick up his stuff from his estranged parents house, that gives them the right to go behind his back and sell it for personal profit? Seriously? Do you really think the intent behind them selling his prized memorabilia was to just free up some space for themselves? If that’s the case then why not a phone call giving him a final chance and stating their intent to sell if he won’t get the stuff? Why? Because they wanted to sell it all for profit. Not to rid themselves of unwanted clutter. Are any of you parents? I don’t care how cold my relationship was with one of my kids. I could never be so scandalous with their belongings, especially very personal items. I’d at least give them fair warning to come get the stuff once and for all or it’s getting thrown out. They wanted cold hard cash and that’s that. Read any story about an athlete who has become estranged from family and it always comes down to one thing. MONEY. I would even bet Kobe has been a lousy son after his fame. Like I said, the guy seems like a real jackass. I don’t care though. What’s right is right and what’s wrong is wrong, no matter how much of an ass their son is. Kobe also reportedly told his mom years ago that “he didn’t need that stuff” or something of that nature. I’m sure his intent was to say he didn’t need to have those items in his posession, that they could keep them. Or do you really think he wanted them to throw out championship rings and trophies? Get real people. Your Kobe hate is clouding your judgement.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:41 AM

People, the relationship between Kobe and his parents is long and complex. This is just the tip of the iceberg that we saw. Honestly none of us are in a position from the outside to say who is right or wrong, we don’t know the entire story. And frankly, neither side is likely totally right or wrong. Life is lived in shades of gray, not black and white.

12. allthewaylive1 - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:19 PM

I cannot deny that Kobe Bryant has mad basketball skills, but I’m not under the impression that he is a very nice human being. That being said, I agree with Kobe’s position on this matter. His Parents wanted to sell his memorabilia to buy another home in Las Vegas or Arizona depending on what media outlet you choose to believe. Don’t you just love greed?

Kobe could have avoided this situation if after he saw the pattern of requests for money from his parents, he would have discussed the situation with his attorneys, and had them draw up papers that would give each of his parents a designated sum of money with the understanding that they could no longer come back for more. The parents would sign the agreement and live within their means from that point on. Either that, or he can keep feeding them money whenever they want some shinny new toy. If he chooses the latter, then he should shut about it already.

13. bchapman2011 - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Kobe has given his parents MILLIONS. He finally cut off some of his moms requests for property in Las Vegas and she got pissed and threatened to sell his items. Wouldn’t you be hurt if your parents did that to you?

14. badintent - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

No Wonder PhilJackson gave up dealing with Kobe and his “me ,myself and I “.dogma.He has to be laughing at this lawyer spin . “Good old Kobe, meet the new Kobe, same as the old Kobe.Sure we’ll see his mom on Basketball Wifes And Mothers next season.

15. loungefly74 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:43 PM

$$$$ can ruin any relationship.

Biggie said, “Mo’ Money…Mo’ Problems”…

Suzie Orman says, “$$$/financial stuff is the number #1 reason for divorce.”

I don’t know the full story…but i bet Kobe has given a grip of money to his parents. at some point, just cut them off if they are just leeching. i find it strange because you would think Jellybean had some money of his own, right?

• badintent - Jun 12, 2013 at 2:49 AM

Suzie should know, she’s messed up.LOL

16. urodaddy07 - Jun 11, 2013 at 10:32 PM

I am never shy to give my opinion on a basketball issue, but this is a personal issue between Kobe and his parents. I am surprised some people have such definitive opinions about the character of these people based on what’s been reported. I myself have no clue what’s going on and my only conclusion is the only one I think an outsider (to the family) can make and that is; the relationship between son and parents is just not good and that from a legal standpoint, Kobe has ownership of his stuff and, therefore, legally has to give permission for them to be auctioned by anybody.

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches