Jun 10, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is not going to trial with his parents. That’s a good thing.
Kobe had sued to stop his parents from auctioning off a bunch of his memorabilia they had at his house, which more than anything speaks to the state of their relationship.
Now a settlement has been reached — six items, just 10 percent of the items originally listed, will be auctioned off. The auction is still being done by Goldin Auctions, which thinks it can net upwards of $500,000, according to the report.
In addition, Kobe’s parents had to make a public apology and did so in a statement.
“We regret our actions and statements related to the Kobe Bryant auction memorabilia. We apologize for any misunderstanding and unintended pain we have caused our son and appreciate the financial support he has provided over the years. We also apologize to Goldin Auctions for their inadvertent involvement in this matter and thank them for their assistance.”
It was really Golden’s lawyers vs. Kobe in this and the question was ownership. Kobe’s parents were trying to auction off items still in their possession from Kobe’s younger playing days. The items still being auctioned are some of the most coveted of the offerings — two of Kobe’s Lower Merion High School uniforms, plus to replica NBA championship rings from the Lakers’ 2000 championship that Kobe had made for his parents.
Goldin had given the Bryants $450,000 up front, which they used to buy a home in the Las Vegas area.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 5
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 10
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 30
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 8