Jun 10, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant is not going to trial with his parents. That’s a good thing.
Kobe had sued to stop his parents from auctioning off a bunch of his memorabilia they had at his house, which more than anything speaks to the state of their relationship.
Now a settlement has been reached — six items, just 10 percent of the items originally listed, will be auctioned off. The auction is still being done by Goldin Auctions, which thinks it can net upwards of $500,000, according to the report.
In addition, Kobe’s parents had to make a public apology and did so in a statement.
“We regret our actions and statements related to the Kobe Bryant auction memorabilia. We apologize for any misunderstanding and unintended pain we have caused our son and appreciate the financial support he has provided over the years. We also apologize to Goldin Auctions for their inadvertent involvement in this matter and thank them for their assistance.”
It was really Golden’s lawyers vs. Kobe in this and the question was ownership. Kobe’s parents were trying to auction off items still in their possession from Kobe’s younger playing days. The items still being auctioned are some of the most coveted of the offerings — two of Kobe’s Lower Merion High School uniforms, plus to replica NBA championship rings from the Lakers’ 2000 championship that Kobe had made for his parents.
Goldin had given the Bryants $450,000 up front, which they used to buy a home in the Las Vegas area.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30