Doc Rivers finally speaks on chances of return, but only to say ‘I’d rather not say’

Jun 10, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT

New York Knicks v Boston Celtics - Game Six Getty Images

Kevin Garnett might retire. Paul Pierce’s contract is only partially guaranteed for next season. Who knows when Rajon Rondo will return to full health? The Celtics have plenty of question marks headed into next season.

Meanwhile, Doc Rivers had been lying low.

He’s finally spoken publically about his future with the Celtics, but he didn’t say much. Gary Washburn of the Boston Globe:

When asked if he is still in the decision-making process, Rivers told the Globe “I’d rather not say.”

Speculating, I wonder whether Rivers was peeved Danny Ainge announced Rivers would return. Rivers very well might have wanted to do that on his own terms, and that could make this lengthy silence his way of showing his displeasure.

If that’s the case, I don’t think Rivers is petty enough to step down over this, just to make the Celtics sweat. And he’d certainly be entitled.

I’d still guess Rivers returns, but this has become closer to a 50-50 call than I ever anticipated, and it very easily could depend on how Boston handles Garnett and Pierce. Coaching those two would certainly be more appealing to Rivers than beginning a rebuilding project.

1. jcmeyer10 - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM

Turning into Brett Favre and this is coming from a guy who loves Doc Rivers.

2. chargerdillon - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Negotiations with Doc are as follows:

Doc: The team is old, injured, or retiring soon
    Boston: We know

Doc: How do you expect me to seriously compete with this roster?
    Boston: We don’t

Doc: Well then I guess you better pay me a boatload of money to stay
    Boston: We wont

Doc: Well then I guess i’m leaving
    Boston: We know

Media: DOC WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO?!
    Doc: I’d rather not say

• fanofevilempire - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM

he has two years on his contract, if he doesn’t coach Boston he can’t coach.

• dudermcrbohan - Jun 10, 2013 at 7:33 PM

it’s not like he needs the money. I’m sure he’d rather be on the golf course or with his family for those two years than to ride the Celtics downward spiral.

3. dolphindubs - Jun 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Doc Rivers on return : “I definitely maybe will…but I’m not sure.”

4. hehateme2 - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:07 PM

It’s tough being green I suppose…. ;-)

5. badintent - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:20 PM

Doc Rivers is an enigma wrapped in a mystery coated with Wesson Oil and used by KIm and her sisters as a dildo

6. dexteruk - Jun 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM

i thought doc signed a 5 year deal last summer. surely he knew he would be outlasting kg and paul with a deal that long. shows a contract isnt worth the paper its printed on. we shoulda let him go and give thibs his job 2 years ago. look how well he did with half a bulls team

Wizards playing spoiler in East