Jun 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
You can bet LeBron will get more questions now about his former Cleveland teammate, and now he’ll know they’re serious.
Green shot 5-for-5 on 3-pointers and 6-for-6 overall to lead the Spurs with 17 points during their 103-84 loss to the Heat in Game 2 of the NBA Finals. He set an NBA Finals record for 3-pointers made without a miss in a single game, besting the 4-for-4 marks of Paul Pierce (2008) and Scott Wedman (1985). Green also tied Robert Horry’s franchise record with five 3-pointers made in a Finals game.
Tony Parker assisted three of Green’s 3s, and Kawhi Leonard assisted another in transition. But this wasn’t just a limited role player standing in the corner waiting for his teammates to make plays for him. Green also made a 3-pointer off the dribble while running a pick-and-roll, and he even blocked a LeBron shot.
Green and Parker are the only two Spurs to score double digits in both Finals games. Not bad for a player the Spurs cut twice because he didn’t bring consistent effort.
By leading San Antonio in scoring, Green joined even more elite company. In the last four years, onlyLeBron, Parker,Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jason Terry,Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen,Kevin Garnettand Pau Gasol had led a team in scoring during the Finals before tonight.
Green – a second-round pick in 2009 and a small piece of the Cavaliers teams LeBron deemed not good enough – didn’t help his new team best his old teammate, but he sure delivered a game to remember.
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 5
- Rajon Rondo leads Celtics to rout of Nets. How much does it mean? 7
- Bulls cruise to 24-point opening night win over Knicks 10
- Lakers’ rookie Julius Randle has surgery to repair fractured tibia, out for season 16
- Anthony Davis has zero chance of winning MVP this season 37
- Dwight Howard says he wants to move on from Kobe, Lakers. Actions show feud going strong. 45
- NBA Opening Night Winners/Losers: Big nights for The Beard and The Brow 27
- Kobe Bryant, Dwight Howard have little dust up; Kobe calls Howard “soft” (VIDEO) 61