Jun 10, 2013, 1:33 AM EDT
You can bet LeBron will get more questions now about his former Cleveland teammate, and now he’ll know they’re serious.
Green shot 5-for-5 on 3-pointers and 6-for-6 overall to lead the Spurs with 17 points during their 103-84 loss to the Heat in Game 2 of the NBA Finals. He set an NBA Finals record for 3-pointers made without a miss in a single game, besting the 4-for-4 marks of Paul Pierce (2008) and Scott Wedman (1985). Green also tied Robert Horry’s franchise record with five 3-pointers made in a Finals game.
Tony Parker assisted three of Green’s 3s, and Kawhi Leonard assisted another in transition. But this wasn’t just a limited role player standing in the corner waiting for his teammates to make plays for him. Green also made a 3-pointer off the dribble while running a pick-and-roll, and he even blocked a LeBron shot.
Green and Parker are the only two Spurs to score double digits in both Finals games. Not bad for a player the Spurs cut twice because he didn’t bring consistent effort.
By leading San Antonio in scoring, Green joined even more elite company. In the last four years, onlyLeBron, Parker,Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Jason Terry,Dirk Nowitzki, Dwyane Wade, Kobe Bryant, Paul Pierce, Ray Allen,Kevin Garnettand Pau Gasol had led a team in scoring during the Finals before tonight.
Green – a second-round pick in 2009 and a small piece of the Cavaliers teams LeBron deemed not good enough – didn’t help his new team best his old teammate, but he sure delivered a game to remember.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 62
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31