Jun 10, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
But he wouldn’t mind being back in Miami next fall.
Billups is an unrestricted free agent this summer and like a lot of veterans willing to play for less money if they get a shot at a ring, he has interest in the Heat, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“Of course, I would have interest in Miami, of course,’’ Billups told FOX Sports Florida…
“Absolutely, I could help them,’’ Billups said before the Heat faced San Antonio after having lost the Finals opener last Thursday.
Billups will be 37 at the start of next season and after coming off a torn Achilles that had him out for all but 22 games last season, it’s fair to ask how much he can really contribute.
Thing is the Heat don’t really need him. They have Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole at the pint and Billups, despite being a smart player, lacks the athleticism the Heat like to use at the point. He could play some two guard off the bench, but Miami is already giving those minutes to Ray Allen.
But it’s out there. Stranger things have happened.
- Report: Phil Jackson ‘leaning toward’ accepting offer to become Knicks president 20
- Paul Pierce’s move to power forward adds twist to his career, Brooklyn Nets’ season 2
- O.J. Mayo suspended one game for punching Pelicans’ Greg Stiemsma in the throat (VIDEO) 4
- Pacers players hold locker room meeting after getting crushed by Rockets 24
- PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman 9