Jun 10, 2013, 8:45 AM EST
But he wouldn’t mind being back in Miami next fall.
Billups is an unrestricted free agent this summer and like a lot of veterans willing to play for less money if they get a shot at a ring, he has interest in the Heat, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“Of course, I would have interest in Miami, of course,’’ Billups told FOX Sports Florida…
“Absolutely, I could help them,’’ Billups said before the Heat faced San Antonio after having lost the Finals opener last Thursday.
Billups will be 37 at the start of next season and after coming off a torn Achilles that had him out for all but 22 games last season, it’s fair to ask how much he can really contribute.
Thing is the Heat don’t really need him. They have Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole at the pint and Billups, despite being a smart player, lacks the athleticism the Heat like to use at the point. He could play some two guard off the bench, but Miami is already giving those minutes to Ray Allen.
But it’s out there. Stranger things have happened.
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 2
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 1
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 5
- Raptors trade Rudy Gay to Sacramento for multiple players 25
- Knicks lose by 41 points at home to Celtics 24
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)