Jun 10, 2013, 8:45 AM EDT
But he wouldn’t mind being back in Miami next fall.
Billups is an unrestricted free agent this summer and like a lot of veterans willing to play for less money if they get a shot at a ring, he has interest in the Heat, he told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“Of course, I would have interest in Miami, of course,’’ Billups told FOX Sports Florida…
“Absolutely, I could help them,’’ Billups said before the Heat faced San Antonio after having lost the Finals opener last Thursday.
Billups will be 37 at the start of next season and after coming off a torn Achilles that had him out for all but 22 games last season, it’s fair to ask how much he can really contribute.
Thing is the Heat don’t really need him. They have Mario Chalmers and Norris Cole at the pint and Billups, despite being a smart player, lacks the athleticism the Heat like to use at the point. He could play some two guard off the bench, but Miami is already giving those minutes to Ray Allen.
But it’s out there. Stranger things have happened.
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 0
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 11
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 7
- Mike Krzyzewski would trade Andrew Wiggins for Kevin Love with “not one second of hesitancy” 66
- Mario Chalmers: “I never thought anybody would want to leave Miami for Cleveland” 65
- Las Vegas Summer League review: How did Andrew Wiggins, other lottery picks fare? 14
- Report: Knicks open to trading Iman Shumpert or J.R. Smith 29
- Top seven free agents still on the market 49