Serge Ibaka says he ‘knows nothing about’ whether or not Kevin Martin will be back with the Thunder next season
Jun 9, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
TREVISO, Italy — A rumor surfaced recently that the decision of whether or not Kevin Martin would be back with the Thunder had already been made by either the team or the player, and it originated from something that Serge Ibaka said during an interview with a foreign media outlet.
Martin replaced James Harden as the team’s sixth man in Oklahoma City, and appeared in 77 regular season games while averaging 14 points on 45 percent shooting in 27.7 minutes per game off the bench. He was in the final year of a contract that paid him close to $13 million last season, and is an unrestricted free agent.
Obviously, there’s plenty of room there for something like that to get lost in translation. And after speaking with Ibaka on Day 2 of adidas Eurcoamp, that certainly seemed to be the case.
“I definitely don’t know nothing about it,” Ibaka told NBCSports.com confidently, in English through his usually thick accent. “I’m a player like him, so we just go play. That’s the kind of question you need to ask the (general) manager.”
Ibaka went on to say he liked playing with Martin, and would welcome him back if the Thunder are willing and able to re-sign him this summer.
“He’s a good guy,” Ibaka said. “He was a good fit for us.”
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 5
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 36
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 37
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17