Jun 9, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Jason Kidd is a smart player, a guy very respected in the locker room, but is he really ready to step directly into a coach’s seat?
He wants to — Kidd wants to be the Brooklyn Nets head coach next season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Freshly retired NBA star Jason Kidd is pursuing the Brooklyn Nets’ head coaching job and his candidacy has been discussed within the highest levels of the organization, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Kidd has been talking with associates about the possibility of making the immediate leap from a Hall of Fame playing career to a head coaching job, and has been working to identify a staff of assistant coaches who could help him overcome the significant learning curve, sources said.
Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw is the guy the Nets have had at the top of their target list, but both the Clippers and Nuggets also are very interested in him.
Kidd just retired after a Hall of Fame 19-year career, and he spent his best years with the Nets Kidd was the All-Star point guard who led the Nets to a couple NBA Finals appearances (where they lost to the Lakers and Spurs). He still has strong ties to the organization.
It is a big jump, but Kidd can point to Mark Jackson, who never coached and was a broadcaster who took over the Golden State Warriors and helped turn that franchise around. But catching lightning in a bottle like that twice would be hard.
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 14
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 16
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 41
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17