Jun 9, 2013, 5:47 PM EDT
Jason Kidd is a smart player, a guy very respected in the locker room, but is he really ready to step directly into a coach’s seat?
He wants to — Kidd wants to be the Brooklyn Nets head coach next season, reports Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports.
Freshly retired NBA star Jason Kidd is pursuing the Brooklyn Nets’ head coaching job and his candidacy has been discussed within the highest levels of the organization, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.
Kidd has been talking with associates about the possibility of making the immediate leap from a Hall of Fame playing career to a head coaching job, and has been working to identify a staff of assistant coaches who could help him overcome the significant learning curve, sources said.
Pacers assistant coach Brian Shaw is the guy the Nets have had at the top of their target list, but both the Clippers and Nuggets also are very interested in him.
Kidd just retired after a Hall of Fame 19-year career, and he spent his best years with the Nets Kidd was the All-Star point guard who led the Nets to a couple NBA Finals appearances (where they lost to the Lakers and Spurs). He still has strong ties to the organization.
It is a big jump, but Kidd can point to Mark Jackson, who never coached and was a broadcaster who took over the Golden State Warriors and helped turn that franchise around. But catching lightning in a bottle like that twice would be hard.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 12
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8