Jun 9, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
This is just not going to happen.
It’s not. The Cavaliers are struggling to trade the No. 1 pick for anything decent but the Heat would move Chris Bosh for the No. 4 pick in a down draft? No. Not happening.
However, there is a report from Gary Washburn at the Boston Globe that the Bobcats want to try to make that happen.
The Charlotte Bobcats are looking to make a splash this summer and are open to trading their first-round pick in a package for an All-Star-caliber player. There are rumors the Heat will be looking to deal Chris Bosh, and the Bobcats, who are under the salary cap and could accept Bosh’s near-maximum deal, could be a prime candidate. As much as Charlotte would love to build through the draft, team officials understand they have to start winning and need a player to be the face of the franchise. Bosh could serve that purpose
Bosh, 29, is set to make about $62 million over the next three seasons under his current deal. He can choose to opt out after the 2014 or 2015 seasons.
Hate on Bosh all you want the fact is he is crucial to the small ball game the Miami Heat play. Erik Spoelstra consistently calls Bosh the Heat’s most important player, because he makes their spacing possible (at least when he hits shots). If they move him, they have to get someone who can play like him at a much cheaper price and there aren’t a lot of guys like him.
Make no mistake, win or lose in the finals Pat Riley and the Heat brain trust need to be looking at ways to evolve this roster into one that can continue to win three to five years from now. That may mean breaking up their “big three.” LeBron James will be fine, but what about Dwyane Wade? And when changes come Bosh might be the guy who does get moved. However that is not happening after three straight NBA Finals trips.
And not for the No. 4 pick in a down draft.
It’s interesting that the Bobcats are thinking about looking for a franchise-type player. Good, they need one. But the best one for them to go after now is Andrew Wiggins — this is not the time to make a bold move to try and get the eight seed. I get it, losing sucks and asking fans to be patient sucks. But next year if you have a top 3 pick it is going to change your franchise.
And in a way better than Chris Bosh would.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29