Television ratings dip from last season for Game 1 of NBA Finals

Jun 8, 2013, 7:59 AM EDT

BKN-NBA-FINALS-SPURS-HEAT-GAME 1 Getty Images

Game 1 of the NBA Finals between the Spurs and Heat drew 14.2 million viewers, easily winning the television ratings for the night for ABC.

But that number is off 12 percent from last season when the Heat were playing the Oklahoma City Thunder (that drew 16.2 million), and it is down slightly from the 2011 finals when the Heat faced the Dallas Mavericks (15.2 million).

However, the game’s ratings did beat the six years before that, going back to 2004 and the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

Why the decrease? Well, the Spurs have just never been a big national draw, for one. Also, there may be some fatigue with the Heat — a lot of people tuned in to root against LeBron James and Miami, but that seems to be tempered since they won last year.

Ratings for games generally climb throughout a series. Game 1 of these finals was very entertaining so we may see a big jump.

1. brianjoates - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:08 AM

Games should start no later than 8pm on the East coast.

2. reesesteel23 - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM

As expected

3. money2long - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:35 AM

basketball is my favorite sport. i like the way they dribble up and down the court

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

I like Slam dunks take me to the hoop
      My favorite play is the alley oop

4. jerrysshadescleaner - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Me like brazilian model, me wanna do, very pretty they are

• money2long - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:04 AM

speaking of model, tony parker’s mom , pamela firestone, modeled in europe.
      take a look at her behind her son, tony

5. rustyshackleford1 - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

duh

6. 91devinhester23 - Jun 8, 2013 at 2:49 PM

just more and more confirmation that the spurs are boring

great team though don’t get me wrong, and I am rooting for them (because I want the heat to lose), but they have the most generic and unexciting offensive style ever

• anthonymtx - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

No disrespect but If you think a team that has 4 championships, 14 consecutive 50 plus win seasons, 16 consecutive playoff appearances is boring, then you are just not a true basketball fan. The generic way you say they play IS basketball. That’s how the game is supposed to be played. I don’t see the awe in someone that is close to 7 feet tall jump just 3 feet and dunk a ball……..I see the awe in ball handling and making the team that relys on those said dunks look like lost kids……

7. anthonymtx - Jun 8, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That means that are 14.2 million true basketball fans who care about the game and not bandwagon fans. I say good riddance to the 2 million or so who like the game for the glamor and not the love of basketball…….

8. yousuxxors - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

the spurs are vanilla for not that big basketball fans and I guess since lebron won people aren’t tuning in to watch him lose. I feel like the games start to late to. I feel like all the games will be close and go to seven. ratings should increase with that.

9. alreggie - Jun 8, 2013 at 3:35 PM

NBA has marketed a bunch of marquee players like LeBron,Kobe,Rose,Griffin,Durant and the like instead of the sport as a whole. Spurs are a forgotten team because of small market and lack of “superstar”. Teams with good/great players and great coaching are winners. Who cares what the ratings are.? I’m watching.

10. lastdukestreetking - Jun 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Rating in my house was 50%. One tv watching game and another one not.

11. savvybynature - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Seems weird to me that all the games are on a Tuesday, Thursday or Sunday. Why no Friday or Saturday night games?
    Maybe more people would tune in if they didn’t have to work early the next morning (East Coasters) or weren’t just getting home from work and need to eat dinner and chat with the wife and kids (West Coasters).

• cavanogrady - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Simple. Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday nights have many more network tv viewers. Friday and Saturday may be more convenient for many, but the overall numbers would be way down. Just look at the Nielsen leaders for any given week. There are rarely Friday and Saturday shows.

People go out on the weekends, especially the young male demographic that the games attract.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 11, 2013 at 3:23 AM

Bingo.

12. gmsingh123 - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:07 PM

How does falling asleep during the game affect the ratings?

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches