Jun 8, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
Brand new Sixers GM Sam Hinkie knows he has a rebuilding project on his hands, and he apparently wants a young coach to be part of that.
It may well be after the draft before a coach is named for the Sixers, but the list that is starting to surface are all assistants looking to make the leap up to the big chair.
The first report came from Marc Stein of ESPN.
Fizdale is busy with his team in the NBA Finals for the third straight year, but other teams have contacted him in previous years, such as by the Blazers last summer. Hunt’s situation is a little more in flux because the entire Nuggets basketball operations is now in flux.
Another name that has surfaced as a possible candidate for the Sixers is Memphis assistant coach Dave Joerger. The 39-year-old was a head coach in the International Basketball League, the Continental Basketball League and the NBDL before joining Lionel Hollins’ staff in 2007. In his career, Joerger coached five championship teams. Yes, Joerger has won all his championships in the minor leagues but five titles is impressive.
Joerger is also the guy the Grizzlies are expected to try to hire if they can’t work out a deal with Lionel Hollins. Joerger has been cleared to talk to other teams, but he is being patient with the process.
As are the 76ers.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 2
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 6
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 13
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 22
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43