Jun 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
MIAMI — The San Antonio Spurs are the enemy in Miami. This town is Heat crazy, LeBron James crazy, and they loathe anything that stands in their team’s way.
But Matt Bonner has a local tie, too — he’s a Florida Gator.
That’s a tie that runs deep here, too. And he’s hearing a little of it.
“I’ve been getting ‘Go Gators’ everywhere,” Bonner said. “Even people with Miami Heat jerseys, walking down the street will yell at everyone else then see at me, wait for no one to look, and say ‘Go Gators’ (whispered).
“It’s the whole spectrum, older Gators, younger Gators. You know, it’s six degrees of separation, except here it’s like two or three degrees of Gator separation.”
Bonner is also known as the “Sandwich Hunter” — he loves sandwiches and even blogged about finding them in different cities on the Spurs Web site. And this is Miami, home to the Cuban sandwich (well, outside of Cuba), so…
“I ate so many Cuban sandwiches,” Bonner said. “When I was at the University of Florida there was this local spot called The Swamp and at least once a week I would go there and eat a Cuban sandwich.”
So, how does Bonner describe the Cuban?
“It’s just delicious, that’s all you need to know. You don’t need to overcomplicate it,” he said.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 1
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 8
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 13
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 27
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 8
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7