Jun 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
MIAMI — The San Antonio Spurs are the enemy in Miami. This town is Heat crazy, LeBron James crazy, and they loathe anything that stands in their team’s way.
But Matt Bonner has a local tie, too — he’s a Florida Gator.
That’s a tie that runs deep here, too. And he’s hearing a little of it.
“I’ve been getting ‘Go Gators’ everywhere,” Bonner said. “Even people with Miami Heat jerseys, walking down the street will yell at everyone else then see at me, wait for no one to look, and say ‘Go Gators’ (whispered).
“It’s the whole spectrum, older Gators, younger Gators. You know, it’s six degrees of separation, except here it’s like two or three degrees of Gator separation.”
Bonner is also known as the “Sandwich Hunter” — he loves sandwiches and even blogged about finding them in different cities on the Spurs Web site. And this is Miami, home to the Cuban sandwich (well, outside of Cuba), so…
“I ate so many Cuban sandwiches,” Bonner said. “When I was at the University of Florida there was this local spot called The Swamp and at least once a week I would go there and eat a Cuban sandwich.”
So, how does Bonner describe the Cuban?
“It’s just delicious, that’s all you need to know. You don’t need to overcomplicate it,” he said.
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 9
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 25
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 68
- Report: Marc Gasol, Grizzlies reach deal on five-year, $110 million contract 8
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 14
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 38
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 36