Jun 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
MIAMI — The San Antonio Spurs are the enemy in Miami. This town is Heat crazy, LeBron James crazy, and they loathe anything that stands in their team’s way.
But Matt Bonner has a local tie, too — he’s a Florida Gator.
That’s a tie that runs deep here, too. And he’s hearing a little of it.
“I’ve been getting ‘Go Gators’ everywhere,” Bonner said. “Even people with Miami Heat jerseys, walking down the street will yell at everyone else then see at me, wait for no one to look, and say ‘Go Gators’ (whispered).
“It’s the whole spectrum, older Gators, younger Gators. You know, it’s six degrees of separation, except here it’s like two or three degrees of Gator separation.”
Bonner is also known as the “Sandwich Hunter” — he loves sandwiches and even blogged about finding them in different cities on the Spurs Web site. And this is Miami, home to the Cuban sandwich (well, outside of Cuba), so…
“I ate so many Cuban sandwiches,” Bonner said. “When I was at the University of Florida there was this local spot called The Swamp and at least once a week I would go there and eat a Cuban sandwich.”
So, how does Bonner describe the Cuban?
“It’s just delicious, that’s all you need to know. You don’t need to overcomplicate it,” he said.
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 0
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 7
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 3
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 21
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 12