Matt Bonner is quietly getting a lot of “Go Gators” around Miami

Jun 8, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT

Matt Bonner free throw Getty Images

MIAMI — The San Antonio Spurs are the enemy in Miami. This town is Heat crazy, LeBron James crazy, and they loathe anything that stands in their team’s way.

But Matt Bonner has a local tie, too — he’s a Florida Gator.

That’s a tie that runs deep here, too. And he’s hearing a little of it.

“I’ve been getting ‘Go Gators’ everywhere,” Bonner said. “Even people with Miami Heat jerseys, walking down the street will yell at everyone else then see at me, wait for no one to look, and say ‘Go Gators’ (whispered).

“It’s the whole spectrum, older Gators, younger Gators. You know, it’s six degrees of separation, except here it’s like two or three degrees of Gator separation.”

Bonner is also known as the “Sandwich Hunter” — he loves sandwiches and even blogged about finding them in different cities on the Spurs Web site. And this is Miami, home to the Cuban sandwich (well, outside of Cuba), so…

“I ate so many Cuban sandwiches,” Bonner said. “When I was at the University of Florida there was this local spot called The Swamp and at least once a week I would go there and eat a Cuban sandwich.”

So, how does Bonner describe the Cuban?

“It’s just delicious, that’s all you need to know. You don’t need to overcomplicate it,” he said.

Well put.

1. cantonbound13 - Jun 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM

FYI Kurt there are thousands of people here in Miami that are not Heat fans. Miami has a lot of people that have moved from other states & remain loyal fans of their team they followed for many years. So really, this is not much of a story to a resident of Miami.

2. seanb20124 - Jun 8, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Weird how a young man from Manchester New Hampshire end up in this position.

3. dadawg77 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Wonder if they say that to Noah too?

• addictedzone - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Of course Noah gets the Go Gators!

We also say it to Mike Miller and Udonis Haslem. It has no bearing on where you play after leaving Gainesville. They’ll always be Gators.

4. asimonetti88 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Matt Bonner is a pretty hilarious writer

5. anhdazman - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

What’s in a Cuban sandwich? Now I’m curious..and hungry.

6. wwttww - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Go Gators

7. 00maltliquor - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:52 AM

“Sandwich Hunter”! That’s freakin’ hilarious! I’m with him though, I do love me some samiches. Usually what I get when going out to a restaurant.

8. gogatorsjohn - Jun 10, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Go Gators!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches