LeBron to those saying he needs to do more: “I’ve done more and lost”

Jun 8, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

BKN-NBA-FINALS-HEAT-PRACTICE Getty Images

MIAMI — LeBron James learned his lesson in Cleveland — he could not win on his own. Nobody can. You need teammates worth trusting and to give them the rock.

Now just because the Heat are down 0-1 to the Spurs and he went scoreless for a six-minute stretch in the fourth quarter, he’s not forgetting that lesson. And he’s not listening to those telling him he has to be more aggressive.

“No, I can’t get involved in that honestly, because I’ve done more and lost before,” LeBron said Saturday after practice. “I mean we played Orlando, when I was in Cleveland we played Orlando in the Eastern Conference Finals and I think I averaged 38, 36, or whatever I averaged (38.5 in the 2009 series). I guess I should have done more in that series as well. But I can’t.”

He said he doesn’t really read what is written about him, which is a policy more players should probably follow.

LeBron is right — there were moments in Game 1 where he drew three defenders and he has no real choice but to pass and hope Dwyane Wade or Chris Bosh or Norris Cole could knock down an open look.

Thing is he also did a good job getting into the lane and creating space for himself to shoot, and he passed out of those, too. The Spurs packed the paint and he took the bait in Game 1. Those are the ones he has to take. And make.

We’re going to see a much more aggressive LeBron and Heat in Game 2. The question then is can the Spurs still handle that at both end — can Kawhi Leonard and the Heat big men stay out of foul trouble when LeBron does attack?

1. goraidersgospurs - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:08 PM

can Kawhi Leonard and the Heat big men stay out of foul trouble when LeBron does attack

I would love for the Heats bigs to foul LBJ when he attacks the lane!!!

• jaerba - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:43 PM

Now that would be impressive.

• realnard - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:14 AM

You would ” love for the Heat bigs to foul LBJ when he attacks the lane”, so you think that Miami will foul one of it’s players/teammate when he drives to the lane ? Did you mean to say the Spurs foul LBJ when he attacks the lane so..you want the referees to decide the outcome of the game. The Spurs are well coached and know how to play defense and how to draw charges as well as the next team, I would prefer that the officials let them play and if they call it close do it on both teams.

• goraidersgospurs - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:26 PM

DiD you even read the article?

2. anhdazman - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM

I still think SA will win this series because of their overall team effort as a whole vs Miami’s big 3. Wade and Bosh have been inconsistent and MIA in a few games. They do that a couple of times in this series and SA will finish them in 6.
    But, with that said, Miami will steam roll them in game 2.

3. raidmagic - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Lebron isn’t the trouble here. I’m stunned that the big story line is he had an off game. He went 18 18 and 10 come on. Clearly he needs his team to step up and help him. Enough about him already and write stories about how his team is letting him down.

• money2long - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:42 PM

i wonder if we will see a big trade for the heat if they fail in the finals.

• Kevin S. - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Like what? It’s impossible to get any value for Wade right now – from other teams’ perspectives, if he bounces back healthy he opts out after one year, and if he doesn’t they’re stuck with him for three years. As for Bosh, what kind of fit would there be? No growing team is really going to want him, and no contending team is going to give up a low-post big for a perimeter big.

• money2long - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

oh so i guess it’s either wade and bosh leave on their own, or they retire as heat.

• elcapitanfiscal - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Dirk for bosh straight up..good for both teams

• money2long - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM

upon reading that ^^ , mark cuban died and rolled over in his grave . then came back to life..and smacked you

4. khall824 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM

i wouldn’t say he needs to do more,but he needs to let the flow of the game dictate when he goes into attack mode and when to facilitate

5. deiong - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:38 PM

there’s only so much he can do. I think he said it right. his team has to step up.

6. sportsfan18 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:57 PM

LeBron has played well this post season and he didn’t play poorly in game 1 either. Also, they only lost by 4 points. The Heat had the better of the Spurs for the first 3 quarters. Yes, they were outplayed in the 4th quarter. But, a 4 point game isn’t much. Had Parker missed his final shot and had the Heat rebounded the miss, well they would have been going for the tie or win during the last 4 something seconds. So it isn’t they were all that far from victory.

Saying all this, I don’t like the Heat and I’m rooting for the Spurs. If the Heat need others to step up, well basically one more 3 pointer or one or two more defensive stops would have gotten them this game, possibly.

• hickoryhigh - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM

So, if I understand you correctly, you’re saying that if everything had played out differently, the outcome, possibly, would have been different. Well, it’s hard to argue with that.

Oh, except that the game ended how the game ended . . . and the Spurs won. So I guess there’s that.

7. losanginsight - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM

Lbj aka scottie jr. is already making excuses for when they lose the series.

8. golfrangeman - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:36 PM

Goraidersgospurs you do realize LeBron plays for the heat ?

9. gmsalpha - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Strange as it sounds, the Spurs and Heat are my two favorite teams. I’m a big Miami sports fan, but I spent a lot of time in Austin and San Antonio. So I don’t care who wins.

BUT….I really want to see the Spurs win because of the off-season rumors, stories, and changes.

If San Antonio wins, I have to imagine Tim Duncan is going to retire. Win a ring and go out on top.
    Of course, it’s going to be a lot of fun to hear about, talk about, and discuss what the Heat will do with their roster if they’re now 1 and 2 in the Big 3 era. Will Ray Allen retire? Shane Battier? Juwan Howard (a joke, people)? Obviously the BIG 3 is L B & J.

I think LeBron is a fantastic player and I actually think he seems like a pretty great guy off the court too. But the talk of him being 1 for 4 in Finals is going to run rampant, and make for interesting reading.

So as much as I’d love to see the Heat win not one, not two, not three…..which would be fun in and of itself for the fact that I enjoy conversations about parity and superstars conspiring to play with each other in big (or flashy) markets. As much as that would be great, the Spurs winning this series leads to a much more active off-season.

10. dls612 - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:04 PM

Why must this dude respond to every question or comment!! Just play ball lebron! Damn!

• divan22 - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM

,” said the guy with no understanding of the NBA rule which requires players to be available for press conferences.

• dls612 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I said a response to every question not all questions! Nerd!!!

• cullenand99 - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:21 PM

If he refused to answer a question you would be the first person to call him a stuck-up jerk.

11. patfic15 - Jun 8, 2013 at 10:10 PM

I’ve waited years to root for the Spurs. Part of me knew it was right and just, but I could never convince myself to do so. Now, with no reservation, no Durant or Dirk…I am free to cheer the one team I love to hate just a little less than Miami.

12. edwardsro - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:36 PM

Heat fans are pathetic creatures

• elcapitanfiscal - Jun 8, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Same creatures as you

13. jacksonkane - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:22 AM

This captures the enigma of Lebron, which he only rose above last year. He is a point-forward whose middle name is ‘triple double’ but often has lacked the killer instinct needed.

While he can’t focus on scoring 40 points a night, if there is a night where he needs to – he should. Every game is different and when his teammates aren’t hitting their shot, he should step up his scoring. For this reason I would have preferred a generic answer, a la “I’ll do whatever it takes to help the team win.”

Ultimately, he is right. They have to hit their shots. It just sounds like an excuse however.

14. jadaruler - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:55 PM

I love when LeBron or any person says they don’t care or listen to critics, but remember specific times he was criticized.

He has to realize that some people think he’s competing with the ghost of MJ and should play like Jordan.

15. gmsingh123 - Jun 9, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Apparently the phrase “whatever it takes to win” has LeBron very, very, very, very confused.

16. jollyjoker2 - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:05 PM

The heat need to use their bench a lot in the first half to put a lot of pressure on sanantonio. The heat had zero energy in game 1 in the forth quarter. Not a good way to coach against a team like the spurs who know when to hit the gas pedal. Lebron needs to conserve up for the final quarter.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches