Jason Collins marched in Boston Pride Parade Saturday

Jun 8, 2013, 6:29 PM EDT

NBA player Jason Collins marches in the Gay Pride Parade in Boston Reuters

When NBA center Jason Collins came out as gay, he said it was sparked in part because a year ago a friend of his had marched in the Boston Pride Parade and Collins was jealous of his friend. He wanted to be true to himself.

Saturday Collins got to fulfill his wish — he marched in the Boston Pride Parade.

Wearing a Nike shirt that said “#betrue” Collins took part in what is one of the largest pride parades in the nation. He marched with Joe Kennedy, the Massachusetts politician that he had been envious of a year before.

Collins explained the significance of this to him in the coming out piece he wrote for Sports Illustrated.

I realized I needed to go public when Joe Kennedy, my old roommate at Stanford and now a Massachusetts congressman, told me he had just marched in Boston’s 2012 Gay Pride Parade. I’m seldom jealous of others, but hearing what Joe had done filled me with envy. I was proud of him for participating but angry that as a closeted gay man I couldn’t even cheer my straight friend on as a spectator. If I’d been questioned, I would have concocted half truths. What a shame to have to lie at a celebration of pride. I want to do the right thing and not hide anymore. I want to march for tolerance, acceptance and understanding. I want to take a stand and say, “Me, too.”

This was a good day for Jason Collins. Another person getting to live life true to who they are is a good thing and what we should want for everyone.

1. erckle31 - Jun 8, 2013 at 6:41 PM

It’s so great to see him finally live the honest life he’s always wanted to live, and it’s pretty awesome that Nike has put there full support behind him. We need more of this.

• hojo20 - Jun 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

LOL

2. rickyspanish - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

That shirt is dope, hats off to Nike and Collins.

3. money2long - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:04 PM

i wonder if he was asked for autographs

4. saint1997 - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Hopefully he does actually pave the way for others to come out. I think we are really lucky that it’s a humble guy like him that has come out because there would be some people who would wrongly attempt to take advantage of this situation

5. addict2sport - Jun 8, 2013 at 7:57 PM

That shirt is pretty sweet. No homo. – Roy Hibbert

6. steelerhypocrite - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Ok, I’ll say what 97% of people are thinking…who effin cares.

• erckle31 - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:15 PM

Just because it doesn’t affect us directly, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t care. Some people have this thing called compassion and empathy. Although you don’t care, there’s plenty more of us that do.

• Kevin S. - Jun 8, 2013 at 8:47 PM

How modest and humble of you to presume to speak for 97% of people.

7. thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Sorry….not newsworthy on a basketball blog.

8. adoombray - Jun 9, 2013 at 2:39 AM

Don’t you think these stories are a little condescending? I mean… “AWWW, LOOK AT THE LGBT PERSON DOING LGBT THINGS. ISN’T IT CUTE?”

I can’t wait for the day that it’s not considered an anomaly to be a homosexual. For the level of acceptance where we mind our business about peoples personal lives to the point that we don’t need to glorify a token homosexual like it’s some kind of point that needs to be proved. “LOOK SPORTS GUYS CAN MAKE THEIR OWN CHOICES ABOUT THEIR PERSONAL LIVES TOO!”. It’s not a shock to anyone born after 1982. It’s more of a shock to the (generally speaking) old guys who write for sports.

9. therealtrenches - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:43 AM

@steeler and badguys:

You have no effing clue that your ignorance is precisely the reason why his coming out is such a huge deal. Get a clue.

• thebadguyswon - Jun 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Its not ignorance. Its that it doesn’t belong on a blog about basketball. I dont need the NBC pro-liberal agenda thrown in my face.

• lmoneyfresh - Jun 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

If you think this is a pro-liberal blog and is throwing their “agenda” in your face why are you here?

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:57 PM

It’s a sad state of affairs where people’s civil liberties are solely a liberal agenda.

• andyhr17 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Badguyswon, go sit in your cave and watch your Fox News. Be ignorant and happy and just go away.

10. dondada10 - Jun 9, 2013 at 7:53 AM

I teach at an inner-city high school in the Bronx. There are a handful of students who identify as gay or transgender. I can’t express to you how quickly Jason Collins has become their hero.

March your heart out, Jason.

11. fnc111 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:28 AM

No one needs this garbage jammed in our faces.

12. fnc111 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Steel and bad I agree… But we must let all the h o m o s in here get their way.

#BeTrue? He wasn’t true for seven years with his fiancé and ended up ruining her life.

• erckle31 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:06 AM

He didn’t ruin her life, know the story before you spray your misinformation. Be less condescending and spell out the word homosexual or gay people; are you that afraid of homosexuality? It appears you think homosexuality is a bad thing? If you were gay in times like these you wouldn’t come out because of people like you today. You say you’re sick of hearing this, but imagine how gays and lesbians feel about people constantly saying they are inferior? Accept it, because you can’t and won’t change anyone. The world doesn’t revolve around your bubble of ignorance.

13. sportsnut101 - Jun 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

IT was funny to see president say some thing about this

He wasn’t being true cuz he said it after his playing days. Nothing more then 11th or 12th man on team or coach now

Why is this on a basketball site. What does it have to do with it. Explain that u were bored and couldn’t do real story

In other news I plan on walking to the store I usually drive. But I wanna be true to myself n finally do exercise

• Kurt Helin - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:41 AM

Why did you click on the story and comment on it? Because that’s why it’s on the site, that and I think this is actual news.

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Here’s a ball. Perhaps you’d like to bounce it.

14. jzone954 - Jun 9, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Heros…… Save people’s lives, run into burning building to save someone, saves a little girl from drowning, puts there life on the line for someone else…..but to disclose the fact that your man who sexual preference is man and being glorified as a hero!?!?!?! This nation needs a wake up call. There a Hugh agenda here being pushed.

• Kurt Helin - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Who is Hugh and what is his agenda?

Seriously, Collins gets to live his life as he wants. That is a good thing. If that bothers you it speaks to you, not him or this nation.

• jimsjam33 - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:30 PM

Collins is living his life as a same sex attraction man . A pretty big percentage of the people of the world read the bible and have faith that Jesus Christ is the way , the truth , and the light . Most people don’t have a clue what I’m talking about including you .
        If you accept same sex attraction , then you accept fornication , adultery , stealing , lying , drunkenness , etc . You see Mr. Helin a sin is a sin . Sin doesn’t discriminate through degrees .
        Homosexuality is a sin and if you and others encourage it , endorse it , tolerate it , then it speaks to your character and the character of this nation . If you continue to assimulate this sin into your life as normal , then you are a conduit of evilness .

• Kurt Helin - Jun 10, 2013 at 11:40 PM

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

If you are going to call yourself a Christian, try to be Christ like. Don’t use it to hide your bigotry. Jesus hung out with prostitutes and tax collectors and the most hated people of his time. Try to follow that path, not make everyone walk yours.

• deadeyedesign23 - Jun 9, 2013 at 5:02 PM

A gay teen is 3 times more likely to commit suicide.

30% of all completed suicides are a result of a sexual identity crisis.

It’s very possible he’s indirectly saved more lives than many other people you would also call a hero.

15. jzone954 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

The only ones who are saying that someone is trying to stop Collins from living the life he wants seems to be you. He’s gay. Ok. Good. I’m
    Not. Ok good. Let us move on PLEASE

16. jzone954 - Jun 9, 2013 at 10:49 AM

The fact that I don’t think it should be glorified doesn’t mean I haven’t excepted it or hate gay people or have no love for the. And wouldn’t help them or be there for them in a time of need like any person.

17. jadaruler - Jun 9, 2013 at 1:05 PM

I feel like most of you at times and say “Who cares, leave your,sexual preferences private.” Then you read stories about young kids killing themselves for being bullied for being gay or succumbing to the pressures of living a lie.

If they can see another person in their position that can give them hope, then more power to them.

18. jzone954 - Jun 10, 2013 at 8:27 AM

Ah. I remember when the talk of this dude was his skills at bball…..don’t you?

19. frankdatank23 - Jun 10, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Actually he’s a former athlete/basketball player….. Now merely a big gay ambassador.

20. jimsjam33 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:17 AM

Mr. Helin ,

You are exactly right . No Christian hates Jason Collins and we want him to be ” Christ like . ” To be ” Christ like ” he must give his life to Jesus and be ” Born Again . When he does his addiction to his same sex attraction will end and he will walk in Jesus’ footsteps . You must remember Kurt , that Jesus converted the prostitutes and tax collectors . As long as Jason breathes Jesus can be his savior . The day Jason dies Jesus becomes his judge . Nice try Mr. Helin you call me a bigot . I’m trying to save Jason before his appointed time . The field is ready and it’s time for the harvest . Are you in ?

• Kurt Helin - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:25 AM

You and I should just choose to vastly disagree on what it is like to be Christ like.

21. jimsjam33 - Jun 11, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Just one more post Kurt and then I’ll quit .
    Proverbs 17-15 Written by Solomon ,

” He who justifies the wicked , and he who condemns the just ,
    Both of them are alike are an abomination to the Lord . ”

Being a champion for a sexual sin is dangerous and you need to fine tune your Christianity from a religion to being ” Life Driven ” for Christ .

• Kurt Helin - Jun 11, 2013 at 2:24 AM

You really want to play the “it says this in the Old Testament” game?

“However, you may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way.” (Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT)

“Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death.” (Exodus 21:15 NAB)

Exodus also says homosexuals should be put to death. So if you are really going to follow the word of the Bible… but that breaks a commandment. Such a bind.

22. jimsjam33 - Jun 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Good morning Kurt . Game ? Interesting observation on your part . For a lot of us it’s not a game . Life is a test and in a fleeting moment your here and then your gone . You remember that old saying , ” From dust to dust ” don’t you . ?
    Slavery ? How could a God allow such a cruel nature in mankind . You remember he promised the Jews basically all the Middle East when they exited Egypt . To make a long story short , all the people living in that area were evil in the Lord’s eyes and he had the Jews destroy them . Those people that choose to live became indentured . Big difference from the American type of slavery . Want more ? Research it .
    The other two I suspect you mean the Ten commandments . ” Thou shall not kill . ” which translated into the Greek and Hebrew means Murder .
    Putting one who hit their mother or father or a homosexual to death ( usually ) by stoning was not murder , it was the law .
    You may not agree with God , but Kurt you can argue with him about that on judgement day . Oh yes , I had a good chuckle when you called me a ” bigot ” especially after you used the verse , ” Judge not , so that ye not be judged . ” How ironic ! Anyway , I do enjoy your column a lot when I read about sporting events and persons . Please leave life style choices that bear morality decisions to the individual . You just continue to be the best sports writer you can be . Thank you .

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches