LeBron James to be on the cover of NBA 2K14

Jun 7, 2013, 8:53 AM EST

San Antonio Spurs v Miami Heat - Game One Getty Images

2K Sports has tried to sell more video games the past couple years by putting Michael Jordan on the cover and some legendary players of the NBA in the game.

Now they are returning to today’s biggest star.

LeBron James will be on the cover of the new NBA 2K14 when it comes out this fall, 2K Sports announced. LeBron also was involved in some of the new development aspects of the game (although safe bet he didn’t sit there are write the code).

“My friends, family and fans all know how much I love NBA 2K,” James said in a released statement. “I remember, as a kid, getting so excited for the game to come out and see who was on the cover, and it’s amazing to be a part of this great tradition. I love partnerships and opportunities that connect me directly with fans.

“I know from my own experience and now watching my own kids, NBA 2K is among the coolest and purest ways for fans to connect to the NBA. I love being a part of it.”

More details about changes to the game will come out over the summer.

1. htownred34 - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I dont really care who is on the cover as long as the game is good and is better than the previous version.

• @itsChanMann - Jun 7, 2013 at 5:22 PM

LeBron is on the cover because of Jay-Z executive producing the game, then again, who else is worthy? And its funny how LB talks like the game has just been around for soooo long. It used to NBA Live for me, Tony Parker was on the last cover…

2. money2long - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM

it’s not gonna be as hot if lebron loses in the finals though, i would think.

3. goraidersgospurs - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I will still wait for a NBA Live release, I know i will be alone on that!!

• 1heatedtoombrayduh - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

thumbs up because i agree you will be alone on that lol

4. cantonbound13 - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:34 AM

In this version games are only 3 quarters long, unless you play the 42 game season.

• blitzinc43 - Jun 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM

wait wut?

5. saint1997 - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Can’t imagine the cover impacts sales that much – hope its a great game though, true what he says about it being a way to connect with the NBA for kids

6. monkeyhateclean - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:36 AM

which button do you press to flop?

7. jtchernak - Jun 7, 2013 at 9:59 AM

2k is absolute trash, just dunk every play the gm sucks this one has to be better

• rustyshackleford1 - Jun 7, 2013 at 11:16 AM

maybe you should bump up the difficulty from rookie…

8. patfic15 - Jun 7, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Original 2ks were so good. What happened?

9. sanfranfanyouknowit - Jun 8, 2013 at 9:37 PM

2K games are terrible. I too will wait for NBA live to release a game. supposed to be one for the Xbox One this winter

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches