Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM EST
The waiting is the hardest part….
What this summer and next season are going to look like for the Boston Celtics hinge on whether Kevin Garnett decides to return for another season, and with that if the Celtics decide to buyout Paul Pierce. Also, there’s that little matter of what coach Doc Rivers wants to do (I expect he returns, but…)
Meanwhile, there has still been no final decision on next season communicated from either Doc Rivers, who continues to work with the team on next year’s roster, or Kevin Garnett, who, it is hoped, is out in California removing the weary from his body and mind. Nor have the Celts made a final call on Paul Pierce, who, if he is not traded beforehand, must, in 23 days, either be bought out for $5 million or kept and guaranteed $15.3 million.
The Pierce and KG decisions are intertwined — if KG decides to hang them up the Celtics will buy out Pierce and start the rebuild process. If he comes back it is far more likely the Celtics keep Pierce and they will have one more run with that core. Likely not a championship run, but they would make a dangerous and interesting five seed.
But for now, we just wait. And waiting sucks for fans.
- LeBron James: “We’re a very fragile team right now” 32
- Dwight Howard out vs. Mavericks Saturday, no timetable for his return 2
- If Derrick Rose not ready to return by Monday Bulls may add point guard to roster 12
- Another day, another Bulls injury: Taj Gibson out with sprained ankle 11
- Report: Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook could return to Thunder lineup next week 11
- Kobe Bryant says he took large enough discount for Lakers to contend 55
- Report: Jeff Taylor won’t appeal 24-game suspension 2
- Timberwolves’ Kevin Martin out indefinitely after scoring 31 points with fractured wrist 8