Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
The waiting is the hardest part….
What this summer and next season are going to look like for the Boston Celtics hinge on whether Kevin Garnett decides to return for another season, and with that if the Celtics decide to buyout Paul Pierce. Also, there’s that little matter of what coach Doc Rivers wants to do (I expect he returns, but…)
Meanwhile, there has still been no final decision on next season communicated from either Doc Rivers, who continues to work with the team on next year’s roster, or Kevin Garnett, who, it is hoped, is out in California removing the weary from his body and mind. Nor have the Celts made a final call on Paul Pierce, who, if he is not traded beforehand, must, in 23 days, either be bought out for $5 million or kept and guaranteed $15.3 million.
The Pierce and KG decisions are intertwined — if KG decides to hang them up the Celtics will buy out Pierce and start the rebuild process. If he comes back it is far more likely the Celtics keep Pierce and they will have one more run with that core. Likely not a championship run, but they would make a dangerous and interesting five seed.
But for now, we just wait. And waiting sucks for fans.
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 27
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 18