Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
The waiting is the hardest part….
What this summer and next season are going to look like for the Boston Celtics hinge on whether Kevin Garnett decides to return for another season, and with that if the Celtics decide to buyout Paul Pierce. Also, there’s that little matter of what coach Doc Rivers wants to do (I expect he returns, but…)
Meanwhile, there has still been no final decision on next season communicated from either Doc Rivers, who continues to work with the team on next year’s roster, or Kevin Garnett, who, it is hoped, is out in California removing the weary from his body and mind. Nor have the Celts made a final call on Paul Pierce, who, if he is not traded beforehand, must, in 23 days, either be bought out for $5 million or kept and guaranteed $15.3 million.
The Pierce and KG decisions are intertwined — if KG decides to hang them up the Celtics will buy out Pierce and start the rebuild process. If he comes back it is far more likely the Celtics keep Pierce and they will have one more run with that core. Likely not a championship run, but they would make a dangerous and interesting five seed.
But for now, we just wait. And waiting sucks for fans.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 2
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 9
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60