Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
The waiting is the hardest part….
What this summer and next season are going to look like for the Boston Celtics hinge on whether Kevin Garnett decides to return for another season, and with that if the Celtics decide to buyout Paul Pierce. Also, there’s that little matter of what coach Doc Rivers wants to do (I expect he returns, but…)
Meanwhile, there has still been no final decision on next season communicated from either Doc Rivers, who continues to work with the team on next year’s roster, or Kevin Garnett, who, it is hoped, is out in California removing the weary from his body and mind. Nor have the Celts made a final call on Paul Pierce, who, if he is not traded beforehand, must, in 23 days, either be bought out for $5 million or kept and guaranteed $15.3 million.
The Pierce and KG decisions are intertwined — if KG decides to hang them up the Celtics will buy out Pierce and start the rebuild process. If he comes back it is far more likely the Celtics keep Pierce and they will have one more run with that core. Likely not a championship run, but they would make a dangerous and interesting five seed.
But for now, we just wait. And waiting sucks for fans.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6