Jun 7, 2013, 10:50 AM EDT
The waiting is the hardest part….
What this summer and next season are going to look like for the Boston Celtics hinge on whether Kevin Garnett decides to return for another season, and with that if the Celtics decide to buyout Paul Pierce. Also, there’s that little matter of what coach Doc Rivers wants to do (I expect he returns, but…)
Meanwhile, there has still been no final decision on next season communicated from either Doc Rivers, who continues to work with the team on next year’s roster, or Kevin Garnett, who, it is hoped, is out in California removing the weary from his body and mind. Nor have the Celts made a final call on Paul Pierce, who, if he is not traded beforehand, must, in 23 days, either be bought out for $5 million or kept and guaranteed $15.3 million.
The Pierce and KG decisions are intertwined — if KG decides to hang them up the Celtics will buy out Pierce and start the rebuild process. If he comes back it is far more likely the Celtics keep Pierce and they will have one more run with that core. Likely not a championship run, but they would make a dangerous and interesting five seed.
But for now, we just wait. And waiting sucks for fans.
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 1
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 13
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 29
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 34
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17