Jun 6, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
One fun part of the NBA Finals is how the beat writers of teams that are finished with their seasons handle it, especially if their team isn’t in a coaching search and doesn’t have a high draft pick. Left to fill space in their newspapers other ways, they often tell some interesting stories. Like this one about Jerry Sloan and Chris Andersen. Brad Rock of the Deseret News:
The Nuggets beat the Jazz by 14 that night. Andersen went 5-for-7 shooting, snagging seven rebounds and blocking three shots.
Sometime during the game, Jazz players had begun mocking Andersen’s body art, which didn’t yet include his famous “Freebird” collar. Upset with his team’s intensity, Jerry Sloan raged along the bench, where he overheard his players’ wisecracks.
“I wish ONE of you guys played as hard as him!” Sloan shouted.
If Sloan ever wants to return to the NBA, he will certainly face questions about where he falls on the thin line between old school and out-of-touch. He should answer with this anecdote. Not caring about someone else’s tattoos would diminish concerns about him being out of touch, and wanting his team to play hard is pure old school.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 31
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 49
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4